1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProDisc DVD-R's rule

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by djkilla, Sep 13, 2004.

1. djkilla

djkilla Member

I know there's a lot of Ritek fanatics around here and I have given them a try using Ritek Ridata branded 4x DVD-R on a Plextor PX-708A. I actually had a few bad burns at 4x. When trying 2x they were a little more reliable but that wasn't good enough for me so I tried PRODISC 4x DVD-R (certified by Pioneer). First thing I did when I got them was check out the id using DVDInfoPro, DVD Identifier and CD/DVD Info. All of them identified the DVD as MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical). So I burned through a 50 pack at 4x and not one coaster, flaw or bad burn. THESE DVD'S ROCK BABY! I'm surprised there's not more people recommending them. By the way, I ordered them through rima.com/ $24.96 shipped for a 50 pack.

-D j K i l l a-

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

any DVD with MCC code = Taiyo Yuden DVD

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Nope.

Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp are two different companies using two different dyes and two different media codes.

4. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    any DVD with MCC code = Taiyo Yuden DVD
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope.

Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp are two different companies using two different dyes and two different media codes.

Nephilim. You right...
    I should make a clarify here, I meant any DVD with MCC code will have the same quality as Taiyo Yuden :)

5. forkndave

forkndave Member

MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) is the parent company of Verbatim. I've found that the Prodiscs that I've received lately have been MCC 01RG20 for the 4X and MCC 02RG20 for the 8X. I also have some Verbatim 4X and their code is also MCC 01RG20. This is only with the Prodisc -R. The +R may be something also altogether.

6. djkilla

djkilla Member

Seems lately I haven't been the only one having problems with Ritek Ridata. Maybe there's a reason Ritek decided to end production (unless all retail outlets are running out of stock at the same time). Anyway, like I said before, PRODISC's rock! Great alternative and proven quality!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Prodisc are rubbish (only good for data) , and they are not running out of Ritek here in the U.K !!
    I personally use the 'branded' Ritek x4 DVD-R and only get a coaster if I balls it up myself (which isn't often - lol).

If I wasn't able to get Ritek (branded) ... I would plump for Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim .... NEVER Prodisc I'm afraid.

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

The last 300 Prodiscs I've gotten have been MCC coded and have the same media code as some Verbatims that I have. Maybe Prodiscs are crap where you're at, but I have had no problems with them. I see no point of me buying Verbatim when I get the same thing at a much lower cost. If it has a Verbatim media code, then I consider it a Verbatim. I check many of my burned DVDs with Kprobe and they seem to have the same amount of errors as the branded Verbatims. The Prodisc S03 were not as good as these, but I didn't have any problem with them either. I don't use Prodisc +R so I can't say much about them. I have a Lite-On 411S@811s and a Pioneer A07 and I don't get very good burns with +R in either. This includes Ritek and Verbatim. I guess it can be a turkey shoot as to what you'll get when you order Prodisc, but as long as they are MCC coded I won't use much else except the ocaissional Ritek.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Prodisc I'm pretty sure use the same dye as Ritek but their manufacturing quality isn't always that great. MCC identifies it as Mitsubishi which is pretty good but I have a 50 spindle of the Verbatim MCC 002 and I've had 3 coaster already. I also have two 100 spindles of the Ritek Ridata (red cakebox) which are made by RIOCOHJPN and I've burned 89 of them and not one coaster.

10. djkilla

djkilla Member

I noticed a new firmware update for my Plextor PX-708A was released on September 21 which mentions Ritek media. It's version 1.08 and looks like it may resolve the issues I had before with Ritek media, unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd be willing to try Ritek media again since I had such a bad experience. PRODISC definately has been perfect media and with *NO* coasters or imperfections. Looks like others are having great success with PRODISC also which begs the question, 'Is Ritek really better media?'. My answer, use PRODISC and you'll never go wrong!

-D j K i l l a-
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  11. Nephilim

Blanket statements like that are ignorant and irresponsible.

12. djkilla

djkilla Member

Sorry about that Nephilim. Just as people strongly support Ritek, I strongly support PRODISC. I believe the dye (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp) is what makes PRODISC such a reliable and compatable media. Other favorites of mine are TDK and TY but for the price and quality received, I *LOVE* PRODISC! :)

-D j K i l l a-

13. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I had great success with prodisc at first perfect burns, then a while later the copys are not so good skipping, freezing, and crc errors when i tried to re rip them. I am not sure of there long term reliability. I simply do not have that problem with ritek which i now use. While on the subject has anyone used the ritek Silver top printable if so whats the verdict, seem to be a good price on digital promo

14. jase

jase Guest

True, but so are blanket statements like

mentioned by Herbsmann.

Prodisc have upped their game considerably over recent months. The dye type is *not* the same as Ritek, but in my experience it is equally as good. IMO the latest discs by Prodisc, Daxon/Sony, Postech and Optodisc are equal to Ritek, and unfortunately there is evidence that Ritek are letting their QC slip as prices are eroding.

15. Nephilim

16. jase

jase Guest

:)

I think it's useful to bear in mind that the DVDR market is maturing now. Many of the Taiwanese companies had issues with quality with the early DVDR media, just as with the CDR several years ago (remember early Ritek CDRs? Eurgh).

Companies like Prodisc, Ritek, CMC, Daxon, Optodisc etc etc live or die by the large contracts they can seal with major, well-known companies. As time goes on and these larger companies work with the volume producers, quality goes up.

I think we're now at the stage where there are few genuinely poor producers of CDR media. The DVDR market is going the same way, and the lead that Ritek once had is not as massive as it used to be.

Even six months ago there were far more types of disc on the market that were fundamentally unusable than there are now. Even the like of Infosmart, for all their sins, produce media that can be written to at the stated speed on many writers, and the data can then be read back 3 months later. I use them all the time for unimportant stuff because they're cheap, and they serve their purpose well enough. Compare that with the unmitigated horror-stories we were fed only a year ago -- a disc that works, however incompatible, is at least better than a disc that's unreadable past 2Gb. I think the increase in quality of DVD writers is also a major factor as well.

My two-penneth anyways ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
  17. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yes , my comment(s) were based on the fact that you may be able to burn okay but then ProDisc or some of the many other real cheap media ... would after a length of time give errors when trying to re-rip the disc [from plenty of feedback aswell as tests myself].

So not so much a blanket statement but Ive typed it on so many other threads/occassions that maybe I should have found what Id previously [posted & that might have provided more indepth into what I was trying to say...

:c)

edited for typo
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    IRC : irc.addictz.net / #ad_buddies[/small]

18. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Personally I don't think that you can get a better disc for less money than a Ritek !! My last 3 cakeboxes of 100, ended up costing me $39, $31, and $36 each...you just can't find a better disc for less than 40¢ a disc !

This bud's for you, herbsman ...
    (edited by Mod: The site hosting jpg or gif moved the url)
    ... cheers ...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  19. forkndave

forkndave Member

The only problem I have with Ritek is that they are not hub printable and Prodisc is. If I don't need a hub printable I use Ritek. Most DVD covers require a hub printable or they look like something's missing.

20. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

------------------------------------------------------
    The only problem I have with Ritek is that they are not hub printable and Prodisc is. If I don't need a hub printable I use Ritek.
    ----------------------------------------------------

RIGHT ON

And if I want holographic pix affect I switch back to Prodisc.