1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program Not Working Right

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by BigClay, Oct 2, 2004.

1. BigClay

BigClay Guest

2 days ago when I was copying a dvd it would read the dvd at it's normal time of 15 mins and write it in 10 mins. NOW, it takes 1 hour 32 mins to read the dvd. I
    have cleaned my hard drive, I have defraged it. Can somebody please explain what the hell is going on and how to solve this problem.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Sounds like your dvd writer is set on PIO mode instead of DMA.
    Have a look in device manager and check it out.

3. BigClay

BigClay Guest

i looked in device manager, i didn't see dma or pio would it be in my bios?

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Sorry BigClay, I should have explained better,
    Go into device manager again, find 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' then click on the little '+' sign on the left of it to open it up.
    'Right click' on 'Primary IDE channel' and the click on 'properties'.
    Click on the 'Advanced sttings' tab at the top and look for the 'current transfer mode'.
    It should say 'DMA'. If it says PIO then click on the drop down tab above it and select 'DMA if available'.
    There are 2 devices on this channel, device 0 and device 1, check them both.
    When you have done that, go back and 'right click' on the 'Secondary IDE channel' and check them as well.
    Keep us informed.

5. BigClay

BigClay Guest

i did everything you said to do and it is still reading at 1 hour 30 min. f.y.i. i am using dvd x copy platinum, one other question, when i use simple mode it will read and write, but will not play in any dvd player, but if i use advanced mode, it works, and thats what i have been doing. can you explain that? i'm sorry, one more question, what does, execute the setup file mean? please help me.

6. BigClay

BigClay Guest

i did everything you said to do and it is still reading at 1 hour 30 min. f.y.i. i am using dvd x copy platinum, one other question, when i use simple mode it will read and write, but will not play in any dvd player, but if i use advanced mode, it works, and thats what i have been doing. can you explain that? i'm sorry, one more question, what does, execute the setup file mean? please help me.

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have never used dvdxcopy so I can't help you with that one, but hopefully someone else will help out there.
    I'm still figuring out the slow read time.

8. BigClay

BigClay Guest

thanks for the help, do you know of a program better than dvd x copy?

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The favourite programs on Afterdawn are usually
    Dvd Decrypter (free) for decrypting (obviously).
    Dvd Shrink (free) for decrypting and compressing at the same time.
    Nero 6. for burning to discs. Also compresses if you want it to.
    For the absolute best quality you can get then DvdRebuilder/CinemaCraftEncoder is the way to go but can be tricky to set up.
    Dvd decrypter, Dvd Shrink and Nero 6 (demo) can be downloaded from this site.
    For 90% of my backups I use Dvd Shrink/Nero

10. BigClay

BigClay Guest

hey, what's up? question, would it be win xp slowing it down or is my dvd burner going bad? it took me 6 hours to make 5 moives

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you can't find your DMA settings through the normal method you may have Intel Application Accelerator installed.

If you do then go to Start > All Programs and it should be listed there :)

12. BigClay

BigClay Guest

this is funny, i went and bought a new dvd burner, everything WAS back on track, when I woke up this morning, I started a new movie and it jumped back up to 1 hour 47 mins to read the movie. do i need to do a clean install or just kill the damn cpu? i have more than enough space, i have more than enough ram, what the fusk? i have an anti virus, i have adaware, i have spybot, what more do i need to do? this whatever is driving me up the wall. please research this and help me out the best you can. i really feel the need to kill this computer. as a matter of fact,
    I took my cpu apart and let it sit for 2 hrs, then put it back together and reinstalled the damn program, and it did the same damn thing. please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Did you ever figure out what your DMA settings were?