1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program to boot from thumb drive

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ahiah9, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

A friend of mine & I were discussing this program I had a few years ago, but never go around to using. I want it now, just can't remember what it is. All I remember about it is that it modified Windows 98/XP, and copied all the boot information onto a thumbdrive or CD. If that drive/disc wasn't inserted, Windows wouldn't boot. I want to use this as a security measure. If anyone has any info on it, or something newer that does the same thing, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

3. godleye

godleye Member

Try googling "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"

This app will format and allow you to create a bootable usb flash drive as long as you got a spare windows 98 cd laying around (As it needs a few files to make it bootable).

4. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

I guess I didn't make clear what I'm after. My bad. Let me try again. I don't want to boot from an USB drive, exactly. I want a program that will put the needed information for my specific configuration of Windows to boot up on an USB drive. I used to have a copy, but lost it. What the program does, is make a thumb drive necessary to perform the boot up. If the drive isn't present, the PC will refuse to boot, and power down. It pretty much transforms the USB drive into a "key" that has to be inserted before you can turn on the computer.
    I know the program is very old, and may not even run on XP. I got it at Big Lots around the time that 98SE hit. Hope this clarifies, and sorry about the confusion.