1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programs to Use Burning DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by duncand, Mar 11, 2005.

1. duncand

duncand Member

I have DVDXcopy Platinum. I am running into problems with new movies. I want to change to the newest programs. Not sure what would be the best. I am also alittle confused reading the posts here. People talk about AnyDVD and DVD Shrink. What programs do I need to copy DVDs? I only have one DVD-RW drive. Do I just need one program or do I need a couple of programs? Please can somebody explain this to me. I am new at this. Thanks for the info in advance.

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Well, this is what I use, but remember it's really up to what works best for you.
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero and DVD Region + CSS Free is all that I have ever needed.
    Some people here prefer a different combination, you will see lots here with AnyDVD as well.

3. duncand

duncand Member

So I need all these programs to backup my DVDs? With DVDXCopy I have one program, four clicks and it is burning. Will one of these programs backup my DVDs? Or do I need a couple of them? Please explain.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

The reason for DVD Shrink is so you can compress a movie larger than 4.7GB so it will fit onto standard blank DVD media, it has no burning engine so you have to use another program to do that.
    DVD Decrypter will copy and burn, an all in one program, but it won't compress.
    Nero is one of the best, in my opinion, burning programs around.
    DVD Region + CSS Free is for breaking protection and for also making your ROM/Burner play all region disc's.
    So if you need to compress a movie you will need DVD Shrink. If you need to break protections you may need DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD or DVD Region + CSS Free.
    If you need burning software you need DVD Decrypter, Nero or the program you are using.
    And remember, this is what I use, others here use different combinations and different programs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you're using just DVD X Copy? Try burning the Forgotten. Lately there is new encryption that makes most people use at least 2 programs, one to decrypt and one to compress (if necessary). I personally use AnyDVD and DVD Shrink to rip (AnyDVD runs in background ripping the encryption off as you go along) and then Nero to burn. But like Bardie said, use what works best for you.

6. duncand

duncand Member

That is the problem. I tried backing up The Forgotten and it did not work. This was the first movie I have had problems with. No that not right. I could not backup Toy Story 2. So you are telling me I need 3 programs compaired to one for the new movies. I just backed up Flight Of The Phoenix, no problems with DVDXCopy Platinum.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can use AnyDVD in conjunction with your Xcopy.. You wont even realize it is there but it will get you through those newer movies.

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I to used DVDXcopy got it way back when from now defunct 321, and then at Christmas started having problems backing up and thought it was my comp I even reformated to no avail. Then stumbled across AD (thank god) and started using two freebies DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter with great success. Just added AnyDVD and am burning happily. These progs are easy to use and you can find great advice and guides on this forums, give them a try.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Here you go. Nice, simple and [bold]free[/bold]. [bold]DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink = backup[/bold](single layer or dual layer). I use shrink and nero mostly as well, but decrypter can also burn. I only use Decrypter to rip the tristar/columbia movies released since mid december.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005