1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programs Wont Open (Even Task Manager)

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by KYBoy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. KYBoy

KYBoy Member

I gotta friend who asked me to fix his laptop but havin some trouble. I used SpybotS&D to get rid of bunch of stuff and it runs smoother, but a handful of programs wont open. Programs that I just installed (Avira AV, Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC, Ad-aware, AVG AV wont even install) wont open. Even the task manager wont open. I ran UniblueRegistryBooster and fixed over a 100 errors, but still no luck. System Restore only goes back to like July, and no restore discs. Any ideas?!?!

Dell Latitude D810 running Windows XP

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. sodaman

sodaman Member

The task manager was disable by a virus or malware. You have to fix it in the registry. Start menu< Run regedit and go to edit find. Then type "disabletask" and search. Delete all registry entries that say "disabletaskmanager" or similar. Press F3 to continue this search until no result found. This will restore the ctrl alt delete function.

If you can't get into regedit then you will need a bootable CD with this tool on it. Free software, music, and warez are usually loaded with trojans. Scan everything before running it. It will save you hours of headaches.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

When a virus has made some system restrictions in order to hide itself, those restrictions are usually the following :

1 - Disable Ctrl+Alt+Del >> so the user can't see the virus and the other running applications!

2 - Disable Folder Options >> so the user can't set the option to show hidden files!

3 –Disable Regedit >> so the user can't see what is going on in system startup!

Unfortunately, AV Softwares have nothing to do with these restrictions and do nothing to re-enable them!

Here, you'll find a tiny tool that re-enables all that the virus had disabled, and brings every thing back.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5635&file=15&evp=091ce794c220a16c10d70298f83b79e7

p.s. better than poking around in the registry, if you don't really know what you are doing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009