1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scanning

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by gaz_0001, Mar 2, 2004.

1. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

What is progressive scanning?? Do i need it?? Is it worth paying for postage and packaging and sending my order back??

Background Info: Just ordered Yamada 6600 (£70), and i am going to be using it for just about every format under the sun. Playback is on a 28inch flatscreen with 5.1 sound.

2. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

in layman terms, progressive scan is just a way of producing the lines on a tv that make up an image. the lines im talking about are if think of the image on the tv as made up of lots of tiny horizontal lines.

Normal scanning (for pal anyway) reads those lines in alternating order, say line 1 & 3, then 2 & 4, etc. with progressive scanning the lines are read in order 1,2,3,4 so u get a better picture.

With a 28 inch screen (whats that? about 70cm?) you shouldn't notice the difference. you also have to check if the progressive scan supports both pal and ntsc.

3. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

Well, apparently the player that ive ordered does not support progressive scanning!? I am not sure though, because this player supports more or less everything, so i would of thought that it would support the progressive scanning. But what i really want to know is; is it worth me forking out £10 to return the player and then picking another one, one that does support the progressive scanning???

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Progressive scanning can in effect double the amount of lines on a TV. This is great if you have a Plasma screen, LCD screen or projector. You dont need it if your TV is a normal one.