1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros and Cons of DVD-R & DVD+R Medias.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wize, Jun 22, 2003.

1. wize

wize Member

I need to know the pros and cons between both medias. Im looking into a dvd-burner, but clueless as to which one to get. I found a moderatley priced DVD+R burner: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=I21-8130 p
    Which media is more useful or standard? I know DVD+R is a more advanced media, but advanced in what way? Will DVD+R or DVD-R work in my ps2 and standalone dvd player? I am totally confused. Thanks for all who post!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I don't think DVD+R is more advanced - it's just a different format developed by Sony and Phillips. The DVD standard is DVD-R and generally you will find that these discs are more compatible with stand alone players and are also cheaper to buy. I have a new Pioneer 105 burner, one of the most popular and it works just fine, burning at 4x (full disc in 15mins approx). Pioneer were one of the first to produce a DVD burner for the general market and the quality is very good, but like any make you choose it doesn't automatically mean you will get 100% satisfaction.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

5. c_sagan

c_sagan Guest

I have a DVD+R will I be able to burn(backups) DVD games with that or do I need a DVD-R?

Thanks,
    c_sagan

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you have a DVD+R burner tou will be able to do everything a DVD-R can do so the simple answer is yes.

7. wize

wize Member

so your saying if i have a DVD+R burner, i can burn DVD+R media and plus DVD-R media?

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  9. c_sagan

c_sagan Guest

Well Thanks, Ken0042 for the info I had no idea. Everyone sounded like the DVD-r was the best way to go.

Thank again,
    Mr. Sagan

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Now, there are a few things you'll want to check out first before you buy one:

(1) Will your stand alone DVD player play DVD+R's? http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
    (2) How much is blank media in your area? I know both are equally priced online, but in the city I live in to walk into a store to buy media is about double the price for +R than it is for -R.