1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros & Cons of Modding Wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tyrantdj, Aug 7, 2007.

1. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

I've been reading this wii forum for ages pondering the question....
    To mod or not to Mod?????

I'm still no further with a decision.

Every other post here is.... "My wii bricked / Semi bricked , Disc's not working any more etc.. etc..

Is it really worth all the trouble just to play so called "Backups" of games you already own?

Now, I'm not against modding at all, ( I have a modded xbox(xecuterChip)) which i've had no hardware trouble at all with. So called "Backups", or media used was sometimes an issue.

With Datel / Codejunkies stating that a Wii compatable freeloader is possible, Could this be the answer of softmodding the wii to allow another avenue of Homebrew and maybe backups?

I would like to hear the pros and cons from experienced/noob modders or users of modded Wii consoles

Thanks

2. vegalo

vegalo Member

Look man, at first, the Wii modding scene might seem a bit intimidating, but it is not a big deal.

I have a Wii modded with a Wiikey and let me tell you, you have to be crazy not to mod your Wii with this setup. I would definetely encourage you to do this. If you play backup games from your own region, you don't have to worry at all about bricking your Wii. However, if you want to play different region games, then you must consider other factors, but trust me, it is not a big deal. As long as you know how to copy the games and burn them, you will be fine and having a great time. It is definetely worth it. Me personally, I have backups of many games and they all play flawless for me. It is worth it. However, the only downside has to do with your timing, seeing as to how now, the govt. is cracking down on modchip sellers and I don't know how easy it might be for you to get your hands on one. Furthermore, if you don't know how to install the modchip, have someone do it for you. Thats what I did.

3. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

That's a good question. I remember asking myself the same thing. As an import gamer, I loved being able to play Bleach Wii from Japan and One Piece Unlimited Adventure in their native languages. I really enjoyed beeing able to practice Mario Strikers Charged back in May (two months before it's US release) not to mention the 16x9 480P version of Rayman Raving Rabbids. For Importing, moding is really your only option.

But this whole firmware updating that Nintendo is doing that may or may not be spying on players to try and see if they have a chip concerns me. I play Imports bought from play-asia.com and blahdvd.com and don't use my mod chip for piracy. But The Big N will never listen.
    I just wish Nintendo would just let it go.

Region locking was the only reason I had for moding my Wii. I like Japanese anime but hate the wait for the games and I REALLY hate the American dub (Naruto English dub sucks hard).

I would gladly trade my modified Wii for a Wii that has no region lock...

4. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

Any more opinions???

5. tokaido

tokaido Guest

for me I'm like bass hit I like to play japanese games and because of my freqeunt travels to asia I needed to have a modded wii so while I was in hk I bought a JP modded wii and I have an unmodded US wii...I never really play backups except when I wanna test a game. But see as I have both I don't have to worry about bricking. Less then a PS3 something to think about

6. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

To mod or not to mod... it depends on whether you're a hardcore gamer or not. If you play lots of games and willing to spend time to learn about modding scenes, yeah, then go for it. But if you don't play that much and don't want a headache or spend time learning about modding, then, don't do it. So far, there's not much headache with modding, so go for it. But if you're just a casual gamer, then it might not worth the headache