1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protect my DVD's from copy !

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Spanneruk, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Spanneruk

Spanneruk Member

Hi

I have made a couple of DVD'S (holidays) and want to copy them for Friends but I don't want them to be able to recopy them after all my hard work putting them together !!

Can I copy these DVD disks to other DVD's with some sort of copy protect on them ?

I also put Photographs on DVD Disks and this would be ideal to stop people from copying these DVD'S

And somthing to stop people printing photos from the disks I have Flipalbum Pro and this has this feature but I need it for home made photo DVD's

I know there are all sorts of rippers and code strippers out there can you suggest anything ?

Regards

Ken Leigh

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I could scratch them for you so that your DVD player will still be able to read them but your PC burner won't. I've perfected this with some of my DVDs by just leaving them on my coffee table to be slid around.

3. Spanneruk

Spanneruk Member

After a lot of reading and searching I joined Afterdawn hoping to get some good Advice SEEMS NOT
    I don’t know about your name DogBomb I think you need one sticking up your arse if that all you can type if that’s a sensible reply and the only one you can think of don’t bother answering anybody’s Questions Because I am sure they will amused as me (like not) THICK HEAD I am sure the forums are not full of people like you as it would be a sad world with your level of intelligence (if that’s what you can call it )

4. Klezmorim

Klezmorim Member

Easy there, Spanneruk, no need to get your knickers in a knot. DogBomb's not too far off. Physical damage to the media is an old method used to prevent copying.

A dozen plus years ago I purchased a program that came on a 3.5-inch floppy. The "copy protection" consisted of a small hole punched in the mylar disk. The program knew to look for this defect at a precise location on the disk. If you copied the diskette, the program would look at that particular block and if it found no defect (probably by doing a quick read/write/read operation) the program halted and displayed an appropriately annoying message.

Primitive, but effective.

5. Spanneruk

Spanneruk Member

DogBomb might not be far off but the reply was sarcasic and if the answer to my Q is punching holes in the DVD forget it I know were your coming from but its not the answer I was looking for your talking about a dozen plus !! I was building computers in 1993 386/486 and look how software has advanced I am looking for some Software to do the job !! not Fred Flintstone NO DISREPECT`

6. Klezmorim

Klezmorim Member

No disrespect taken. I understand your plight. It's my opinion (shared by others) that ultimately NO practical software-based copy-protection scheme exists (or WILL exist) that is un-crackable. You may try appealing to your friends to not copy your DVD, but the harder you to try to convince them, the more attractive the idea of copying will be to them. It's that "forbidden fruit" human nature thing.

7. Spanneruk

Spanneruk Member

I give up, there is such software avalable but it costs to much below is a copy of an email from Nero I have Nero,6.

Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

Nero is not able to prevent the duplication of any Data, audio, or Video CD. But you can use a third party software to do this, such as XCP Copy Protection; LazerLock; or SecuROM. But no protection is 100% effective. But you can make it difficult enough for the average user not to be able to copy, or make it so that its not worth their time to do so.

If you have any any further questions, please do not hestitate to contact us.

Best regards

Sandro Wolfinger
    -Technical Support-

Ahead Software AG
    Im Stoeckmaedle 18
    76307 Karlsbad
    Germany
    Fax : ++49 (0)7248 911 888
    http://www.nero.com

This is the part of the email I was interested in =

[bold]But you can make it difficult enough for the average user not to be able to copy, or make it so that its not worth their time to do so.[/bold]

Dont bother answering this as I am taking the notification off to inform me of any replies.

I was reading an artical on SecuRom and I belive that thet encrtpt the new game Halo and people cannot crack it So there is software that (DOES EXIST)and do ther job.

8. Klezmorim

Klezmorim Member

Eh, well, for the folks who may still be following this thread, I would say it remains to be seen how long Halo will remain un-cracked. As the Nero folks said: "[N]o protection is 100% effective."

The point is well-taken, though, that you CAN make it difficult enough to discourage copying. And as for it costing? Hey, I'm from NY and learned at a young age that protection costs money. ;)

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

everybody is making copies of halo ! if you are so worried about someone making a copy of your disc than dont loan it out . there problem solved !