1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting the surface of the printable dvd

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Pony321, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Has anyone applied perhaps a spray on protectant to the printed side of a printable dvd just after printing? I'm looking through an Office Max catalog and I'm seeing quite a few spray products which will waterproof paper.

Once the dvd label (inkjet) has been printed it would be a shame to have it ruined by an accidental water spill or just mearly cleaning it with a damp cloth.

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

I wasn't aware that water could damage or rub off the printed surface. Surely ink is ink and once it has dried then you would think it would be extremely hard to damage or come off.
    There is a protection surface you can use for the underside but I don't know about the label side.

3. MrMingus

MrMingus Member

My friend applies hair spray. He says it looks better after or something. Want me to ask him?

4. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Once a page has been printed with inkjet ink, the dried ink will smear when water comes in contact with it. Not sure about the hairspray idea. I would think the spryed surface would become sticky. I'll soon make it to Office Max and give a few of their spray products a test run.

5. bruceb3

bruceb3 Member

Krylon makes a spray on UV resistant acrylic coating. Just lay your DVD's on paper towels and hold the can about 12 or 14 inches above the disks and spray a light coating on them. A minute later, spray another light coating and you're done. You wouldn't want to soak them in water, but if they just get wet, they'll be fine. I get my Krylon at Michaels Arts and Crafts Supplies. I think Home Depot has it too.