1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting youself from the outside...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dru22, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Dru22

Dru22 Member

I had received a letter in the mail from my ISP saying they had receive a complaint that i was sharing MSOffice2003 and my internet was temporaily turned off and they had my IP Address, port i was using, what file it was and everything, I dl'ed it and accidently left it on there and was sharing the file to people. I use Azureus and i downloaded Peer Guardian but didn't know if this would protect me. I have my computer hooked up to a router and then the router to the modem. What other things can i download that will protect my identity from authorites trying to do this again?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if not using the computer, turn it off!!

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

There is no way to hide your IP address once you have authorized access to your PC -- ""I use Azureus "" -- This process you have accepted when you installed and started a P2P program (Azureus)-- Anyone can get your Ip address once uploading from you starts, or you download from them !

No doubt you are aware that companies have people using those same P2P programs you are using to effectively catch people sharing their software.Once they have your Ip.. it's a simple matter of contacting your ISP and giving the details of your actions to support their claim against your usage.

You were lucky this time with a suspension from your ISP -- maybe next time it could be worst.

This is the risk you are taking when going on P2P programs.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005