1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proxy Software

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by m_ceberus, Apr 30, 2007.

1. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with porxy software. If so, can anyone recommend a good proxy software that I can utilize for secure and anonymous usage over an internet connection? I have tried a few but was not satisfied with any of them due to things such as using the proxies in some would still drop my IP, takes a very long time to check a proxy, etc. Also I was also thinking about setting up a chain of proxies to have even better anonyminity and came accross a couple programs called proxifier and sockschain. Any comments on those? And if not can anyone recommend a good one?

Thank You,
    m_ceberus

2. Tyler540

Tyler540 Guest

Yea...i'm with this guy^^^. If you are at school or at work and you want to open programs(lets say Nero) just name the "Nero.exe" to "Notepad.exe" and the computer thinks its notepad and it will open right up. But lets say you need an internet connection(lets say i tunes) then just name the "i tunes.exe" to "Internet Explorer.exe" and your computer thinks its internet so it feeds it a connection(how ever...some stuff will still be limited)...for my school computer i just installed a Verizon satellite internet card and i just connect to the network through that. But back on the subject, if anyone knows of a proxy program(plzz share)...just name the ".exe" to "internet explorer.exe" for a network connection. I'm out!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  3. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

I do not think I have ever heard of that method of tricking your computer into various ways of accessing the web through simple manipulation of executables I have to say. But there is a flaw, the one that I am trying to circumvent and that is the dropping of my IP address to anywhere on the web using any program on my computer. I played with a few and needless to say I am not impressed by some of their claims. I give each one a few tests to see if my IP is truly masked and I am amazed that some of these softwares actually do drop your ip on the web, not giving you the "invisibility" that they claim to do. And others were either a little cumbersome or the verification of each server takes too long not to mention that once i found one, I have to manually configure each program to utilize the proxy i found. I havent found any reliable software that helps configure your computer's overall internet connection thereby allowing all programs that access the internet to completely mask your location. Just the other day, I found tor/privoxy which has a convenient plugin for firefox that seems to do the trick and there is a way for you to configure your overall connection to the web. But I have not found too much documentation on the latter so I hope what i did did the trick but until I can verify, I am limiting myself to certain things. I would still feel a whole lot safer if I got some help with the chain proxy program (to put it simply) I hope is out there. You can give privoxy/tor a try and let me know what you think, unless you found something better then you can always feel free to drop me a line. Just so that you know there are pros and cons out there for it (and most other software as well) but this will have to do for now.

4. Tyler540

Tyler540 Guest

Hmmm, Well I had AIM(AOL Instant Messenger) on my school computer and when i opened it, it said server error. Then I renamed aim.exe to Internet Explorer.exe and it worked fine as can be. Using Proxies is hard because no matter what, who is ever blocking the sites in the first place will certainly block the proxy. And as the world knows, there isn't really a program. But i have herd of a Web Browser that Proxiefys the internet, but when i installed it i got a few viruses as well but before my computer had an error, it actually worked. Why exactly do you need to Proxy...if it is for school, not really any help; but if it is for work(work doesn't keep up with proxies as well as schools do), I have a few that will get you through a while.

Anny students watching this, The best web based proxy is Bugtorture.com, scroll down and click the last link and type the URL to the right and also on the right is about 60,000 Proxies.

5. Tyler540

Tyler540 Guest

Additional Tips:

Proxies CAN And WILL Steal Online Passwords and E-Mails.

Get Firefox(Web Browser) At firefox.com If your planing to watch Flash Videos(You Tube)

If you want a proxy to last, use it once, then use one that is already blocked.(kingkongforum.com) so that when Administrators go to block it, it is already blocked. So use the working proxy once then minimize or close your lid without closing Proxy.

When doing anything, accept accessing the internet, disconnect from the internet for faster computer speed and so the bad guys don't catch you doing what you do :p

Hope this helps someone...anyone...

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Most likely the school PC's have a blocklist of specific executables names to block, like itunes.exe and aim.exe.

@m_cerebus
    What exactly are you trying to do?

7. Tyler540

Tyler540 Guest

Ok, First of all School Computers have a list off what not to block, and they just block all the rest. To access a blocked program, just rename the ".exe" for the program to "Notepad.exe"

m_cerebus is trying to find a proxy program that will let him browse the internet anonymously without dropping the IP or the connection. I have herd of browsers that do just that but they have viruses on them. but i have never herd of a program.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  8. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

PeaInAPod et al,

To make a long story short, essentially what I am trying NOT to do is allow my ID to be traced back to my computer when I am using some programs such as emule, torrent, etc. not to mention anyone wishing to track my information considering how things are these days.

The reason for my querying about proxies is that most of my research revealed (and you can correct me if I am wrong on this) that proxies are the best way to go when trying to completely mask your location. I know that if someone is determined enough, they would ultimately make your location, but that doesnt mean that I am going to make it easy for them. Your IP address is lost among the millions of people that use the proxies making it difficult to track (or so I have been told) and if you chain a few proxies together it just makes it all the more difficult for them to do so.

The programs I mentioned essentially collate proxies via lists/urls that are downloaded to each program respectively and check them for viability. These list you can configure on your own or add to but as I have mentioned before, I was not impressed by the ones I have. And for the better part if you managed to successfully acquire an IP address from one of these programs, they are in themselves limited as to what they can successively configure, such as IE, Firefox, etc. For the rest you have to manually edit the connection in the program you are using to the proxy you would like to connect to but never in series.

I know with the proxies, the majority of the time, you have to make sacrifices, such as speed for anonymity, but I prefer the latter, even if I wasn't using emule. I just dont like the idea of someone peering over my shoulder, that would be the ultimate reason why.

Anyhow, thats as far as I got before I thought picking the brains of the people here at afterdawn. I thought there has got to be someone here with experience that has ran into this problem before or something analogous to it who would hopefully provide a solution to my problem. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you
    m_ceberus

9. Tyler540

Tyler540 Guest

Ha Ha Ha Yo can go under controll panel and change your IP once a day

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Tyler540 http://i.afterdawn.com/v3/btn_quote_out.gif

Your statements have to many things wrong with them. When you say this....
    Okay to begin most blocking software contains/uses both a Blacklist/Blocklist and a Whitelist/Allow List. For examply iTunes.exe is a blocked process but since notepad.exe is a legitimate process it will not be blocked and thus allowed to run.

And this....
    A browser is a program. That's common knowledge.

And not everyone has the ability to change their IP address that frequently, most people that use a broadband internet connection have their connection setup to be a Dynamic connection, as such all the needed info DNS Servers and the IP address to be used are automatically gathered by the pc/router. Now their are Static IP connections but that is more of a power user feature and using a static IP connection would be the way that many would use to change their IP addresses.

Yes, this last post may have made me seem like somewhat of an ass but don't go around calling me wrong when you lack the abilities to not contradict yourself in your posts.

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@ m_cerebus

Since you seemed to be more interested in privacy before speed please let me recommend the Tor project to you. http://tor.eff.org/

Here is a overview of what Tor is

If you would like to try it out quickly I would recommend the browser called TorPark. It is basically a internet browser with the Tor built into it. Just install it and run it and you should be surfing anonymously. They offer paid services/version but the free version is a good way to get the feel of Tor.

If you like how works I would recommend using Tor as it doesn't limit your bandwidth and you are anonimized for everything not just your browsing habit(s).

12. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Thank you PeaInAPod for the quick response. It is funny that you would recommend the Tor project for that is precisely what I have been using just prior to starting this thread (Tor & Privoxy & Vidalia bundle). Thus far, it seems to be doing the job of keeping my browsing discreet (it is interesting to see where I surface in the world; France, Germany, etc.) and by you recommending it makes me feel a little more at ease. Plus, although I may give the TorPark browser a try, firefox has a Tor plugin that one can activate with just a few keystrokes, if you were not already aware of it that is and if so, what is your opinion on both?

I would like to get the best of both worlds (if you know of a way pray tell!), speed PLUS privacy but I know that is a long shot at best for they both are dependent on the proxy one connects to and most of the times the speed is sacrificed for stealthy perusal of the net. Do you know of something that may incorporate both? I haven't run across any yet considering the plethora of proxy programs I have gone through thus far until I settled on the Tor project.

There is one thing though about Tor you mentioned that I would like to submit a query on and that is the fact that one can configure it to shield prying eyes from any program you use to access the net, P2P programs inclusive. I also read in another forum (a very brief mention albeit) that someone had their tor configured to protect interests while surfing the web. Do you mean in order for me to do so I would have to setup the tor server function on my computer? And if so, is there a way to test the P2P to ensure it is hidden? (I know a little on testing the browsing capabilities but not too much on the p2p connections).

Now that you know what I am about, if there is anything else you know of for the purposes I mentioned above (or if Tor project would suffice) then once again your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your patience and time.

m_ceberus

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well I will do my best to answer your questions. Yes the TorPark browser is based off of FireFox, the main difference is the Tor functionality is built directly into the program. Personally if their are no differences between the Tor Plugin and TorPark browser I would stick with the plugin as it offers you greater flexibility as far as control of the Tor proxy goes.

And for speed and privacy(now this is the only thing I know of) I know the people behind the TorPark browser offer highspeed broadband that is totally encrypted and speed is guarenteed. Here's a link....
    http://www.torrify.com/offerings.html

As for this.....
    I will have to look into it.

Glad I could help - Pea.

Last edited: May 27, 2007