1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS 2 backup disks(DVDS)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by uriah, Jan 10, 2004.

1. uriah

uriah Member

What dvds do you use for backup of ps2 games is there a certain disk or can you use and dvd Thanks in Advance

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the PS2 people might be a little more knowledgeable on these dire matters....

Beep beep beep beep ..... "Teleportation will commence in T-MINUS 5, T-MINUS 4, T-MINUS 3, T-MINUS 2, T-MINUS 1. Commencing." ...... *SHOOOMP!*

*Somewhere in the distant lands of PS2...*

"Teleportation successful."

Damn I like a little humor here and there :p

3. account

account Guest

lol you can use any disc some are are a little better than other but i use the cheapest ones i can find and have no problems as long as you have a chip or boot discs

this has nothing to do with the above i am not advertising i am just doing this to make 2 cents per click this will be on all my posts
    http://www.modchip.com/clickcgi/click.cgi?goodcheats

4. cornflake

cornflake Member

I prefer Ritek G04's which are DVD-R media. They are about 1.00 a piece. you can find cheaper media, but the problem lies within durability. the cheaper ones may work now, but may not work in 6 months.. so you need to weigh cost and quality also and Ritek G04 media is rated at the top for bang for the buck.

5. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

IF can find someplace that lists the Manufacturer ID of discs, avoid anything with CMC in it. CMC Magnetics are just bad DVD's to begin with, but, they have a drawback for PS2 backups I've seen. They cause skips in video when it plays back over the areas on the disc that will be bad. And, they will be bad. :) I've seen CMC discs from Optodisc and Memorex, and, not a single CMC disc I tested (About 110 of them. <G>) burned correctly. They all finished burning, but, had a problem with playback at some point, causing video skips, data loss, pauses, jumps, player crashes, etc.

6. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

lol Praetor - never lose your sense of humour, it's refreshing and keeps things from getting too serious.

uriah - Also ensure you know what version your PS2 is..
    DVD-/+RW media won't work with all console versions. They are so much more expensive anyway.

Someone answered a similar previous thread query with:
    "Concerning the ps2, it reads dvd-r from v1 to v10 but, dvd+r are readable only with v5 and up"

"version 7 play all media. dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw."

"Version 9 and 10 PS2's are specifically designed to read all +/-R(W) media. It even says so on the box."

"Ricoh DVD+R & RW work fine on my Version 5 PS2 with Magic 3.1"

7. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

My PS2.7, what I call Board 7 :), has an older AppleV2 chip in it, and, it handled all DVD + and - formats fine. It needs a new laser, though, but, I highly suspect it's Sony's recent spate of using cheaper lasers.

8. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

I too had a hunch that Sony are injecting cheaper low quality lasers into the market. Good topic for a new thread. See if anyone has any hard evidence..

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Right... now your mission, should you choose... screw choice! .... Your mission, as assigned to you, is to tell every lovely lady out there that! ;-)

10. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

lol.. that the predator is on the prowl and to prepare themselves as the prey?

11. uriah

uriah Member

thanks for the help guys I will post and let you's know how I do Thanks again