1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps 2 "no data" error message, helpful input appreciated

Discussion in 'PS2' started by funnybone, Sep 16, 2003.

1. funnybone

funnybone Member

I bought a used ps2 (v.4?) about 2 months ago and every now and then, I get a "no data" error message. I usually try rebooting the system and reload the disc. That helps until one day the "no data" error message and some cranking noise just persisted. so, I opened it up and cleaned the lens and tried every possible turn with the white disc that's suppose to change the lens' angle and still doesn't help. So, I'm out of ideas on how to tweak my ps 2 unit. If anyone has suggestion, I'm all ear ?.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

maybe you need a new laser

3. nezzbot

nezzbot Member

You definately need a new laser put in the ps2. I had the same problem about a year after I bought my own ps2. For some reason lots of people got ps2's with faulty laser pick-ups. Sorry but you got screwed.

4. funnybone

funnybone Member

Actually, I found a solution to my "no data" and the grinding noise. Both or one of the above problem may occur. The main source of the problem is the alignment of the laser and also due to two rails the laser moves on may be dirty with old grease. All I did was cleaning out the old grease from the rails and make sure the platform where the laser sits on can slide back and fore smoothly and lastly move the laser platform closer to the spindle, about i/4" from the spindle. If you open up your console and find that your laser platform is sitting an inch away from the spindle , then I think the laser is having a hard time sliding back and fore. So, if your get a grinding noise, try this method. My ps 2 is playing like new again. :)