1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps1 games not booting

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by icewindh, Aug 8, 2004.

1. icewindh

icewindh Member

hello, a friend of mine bought a ps2 from china (scph-50007 / dvd 3.02g) so i'm guessing it is v10. It working fine with ps2 backup and original games. But i cannot make it boot backup or original ps1 games. I even tried disabling the mod chip to boot original ps1 and it get the "please insert ps1 or ps2 format". Anyone know the solution for this?

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It would help greatly to know what kind of mod was installed in the unit. Directions vary from one chip to another.

3. icewindh

icewindh Member

well it is a soldered modchip. I am able to tell that if i hold the power button until the blue eject lights up it "sleep" the modchip.

4. icewindh

icewindh Member

when i put the mod chip to "sleep" it plays dvd just fine, but unable to play ps1 games (original and backup).

5. icewindh

icewindh Member

ok, i have been toying around with the ps2 for several hours. And these are the results:

Yes = boots to game and able to play
    No = red screen saying "please insert ps1 or ps2 blah blah"

Method #1 - pressing the power button once
    Original PS2(US) - Yes
    Backup PS2(US) - Yes
    Original PS1(US) - No
    Backup PS1(US) - No
    Original DVD(US) - No

Method #2 - pressing the power button exactly 4 times
    Able to recognize DVD, but could not play US region DVD such as Matrix and Tomorrow Never Dies, it said something about unrecognize region format. But was able to read Black Hawk Down(US), i'm guessing that particular one was not region encoded or something.
    Original PS2(US) - Yes

Method #3 - press the power button while ps1 game is inside, then press the power button 3 times which causes the ps2 to reset. Then the ps2 recognized the original and backup ps1 games. But still cannot play US region dvds.

I have yet to find a way to unlock regions on my modded ps2. But I hope this gives some clue to what mod chip I have inside. I hope i didn't forget to mention, but this is an Japanese PS2 (i believe), it has "J" marked in the back after NTSC.

6. icewindh

icewindh Member

Method #4 - press and hold power button until blue eject light turns on

DVD = Yes, but unregconized region format
    PS1 Original + Backup = No
    PS2 Original + Backup = No

7. icewindh

icewindh Member

basically, i have figured out how to play those ps1 games. Now i have ran into the region code problem with DVDs. This is the only thing left to figure out. If anyone can have any suggestion please post. Also, sorry for having multiple replies. If there was an option to delete old messages =\

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  8. greedyg

greedyg Member

please tell me how you got the ps1 games playing