1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps1 on PSP legit?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by MrGrimace, Oct 20, 2007.

1. MrGrimace

MrGrimace Member

Is there any method by which I can play PS1 games I have the discs for on my psp without modding my system? It seems a large shame that I should need to risk bricking my system to play FF8 on the road.

2. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

you need a custom firmware or 1.50 psp. then you should use auto popstation 4 to convert you ISO's to EBOOT.PBP'S.

3. MrGrimace

MrGrimace Member

But no matter what I need to use 3rd party firmware? No sony supported way? (I know I am being stupid worrying about it, but I don't like risking my electronics with custom firmware if I can avoid it)

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

right now, custom firmware is the only way. it's way better than using sony firmware because official sony firmware is really restrictive on the psp.

eventually the ps3 network will have ps1 games for the psp, but it will be limited to certain games. but you will need a ps3 to download it to your psp. and you will probably have to pay for the games.

5. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

yeah, i think this mite be the case even if you have the actual games. paying for it again isnt right. custom firmware can only casue a 2-5% chance of bricking. i never bricked while flashing (only on purpose doing stuff you shouldnt... but it is rather safe. especialy with pandora now, so if you ever want to, one of use will gladly help you.

6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yea, if you get your hands on a Pandora Battery to downgrade then you can't brick :)

Once you get to custom firmware, they're just as safe as official, maybe even more-so.

7. matt11504

matt11504 Regular member

is there a compatibility list for PS1 on PSP?
    i want to play some old wrestling games on my PSP.

8. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

All PS1 games i think, i just get the disk and rip the files then convert, all have been fine for me

9. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Umm....have any factual data to back this up? 2-5 bricks out of 100 flashes? I highly doubt that. We all know there is close to 100% of successful flashing of files with proper reading skills lol.

The vast majority of psx games work great on the psp. With some basic knowledge, you can dump files from other firmware and expand pops compatibility. There are a few games that just don't like to work optimally, such as Final Fantasy 8, Legend of Mana, and Chrono Cross. Altering the game id's will improve the compatibility in these games, but to say compatibility is perfect would be a lie.

10. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

The only instances of PSP's bricking while up/downgrading that i have heard of are when people freak out and turn off PSP half way through, have low battery, drop PSP and drop out battery or just dont know why it brciked and dont know what they did to even try to downgrade before it bricked!

11. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

i remember reading it from a guy over at the qj forums back when i was on official firmware.

12. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Most of the downgraders have been upgraded so many times that it is very unlikely to brcik using the latest downgraders/upgraders

13. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

still, if you do something wrong there is a chance.