1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 and dvd+rs

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by orsonk, Mar 16, 2005.

1. orsonk

orsonk Member

i was wondering whether or not the older versions of ps2s read dvd+rs as good as dvd-rs, coz ive got a stack of +rs at home, and i used to backup my games on -rs...

2. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Versions 1-3 will not read DVD+R, Some version 4's will, versions 5 and up will read them. Your best bet is to just stick with DVD-R no matter what. Find a brand you like and stick with it. I never understood why you would buy a DVD+R anyway. I mean they make CD-R's and DVD-R's, where the hell did the plus (+) come from? It just seems sketchy to me since there are no CD+R's. My DVD burner burns both, and they both work fine for me, I'm just more partial to the DVD-R.

3. orsonk

orsonk Member

thx mate..i got dvd +rs coz i used to hav a really old dvd player..and wen dvd+rs came out they said, these old dvd players cud work fine with these discs..

4. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, a lot of DVD Players here in the US read +R discs only. But for my games i always use -R too.

5. abx

abx Guest

I read that the -Rs were the first generation of DVDs. The +Rs came out as a more stable alternative. I use only +Rs and have not had any problems. Even the games that other people are having problems with like Mercenaries and Star Wars Battle Front have worked with the +Rs without any modification.

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I hate to say this but there may be some bad info in this thread. Im not sure if I have a PS2 1,2 or 3. I do know I bought it 3 months after it was released in US. Help me out here, my model number is SCPH-30001. The date code is 1A whatever that means. My unit plays DVD+R with no problem. There is no mod chip in it. I have only played DVD+R movies on it. Have not tried with DVD+R games yet but am sure it would read it. I do know that it does not like DVD+/-RW. Get a disk read error with those.

-Del

7. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

No Ps2 in the world can read DVD-/+RW. RW DVD's are program specific, which means that you have to have a program on your PC to read them (along with a drive that supports them), such as InCD or the like. I formated my DVD+RW using InCD and tried loading it into my friends PC who only has Roxio's program and it would not read. But PS2's will never, NEVER read a re-writable disc, no matter what. Mr_Del, it sounds like you have a version 1 PS2, which suprises me that it reads DVD+R at all. But hey man, it works for you, so don't change it. The problem with people and their media here is that everyone is always looking for the "best" one to use. What you need to do is just stick with a brand that works for you. There are two brands that I am partial to, just because I have never had problems with, 1. if I have money I like to buy Imation discs, and 2. if I have no money, the Target off brand DVD-R's. Niether have presented a problem to me in playing. Now however good the quality of the dye is on the discs I don't know (talking how long they will last), but they work for me, and constantly changing things like what media you use, is a sure fire way to make coasters.

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Well I did some research trying to find out what My PS2 version is. This thread got me interested in looking. It is either a 3 or a 4. Date code 1A I find means ver 3. But here is the comflict. My serial number is a U33 wich is listed as a version 4. So I still dont know the exact version but I can promise there is not and never has been and mod chip installed on my system. I have not tried backing up games yet but the DVD+Rs work fine for movies. Let me know what you think.

-Del

9. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Yeah it sounds like yours is a version 4, I have been hard pressed to see any versions 1-3 play DVD+R's, and about 50% of version 4's can.

10. Prize99

Prize99 Regular member

My friend has a V1 PS2 (bought on release date) it plays TDK DVD+R perfectly!

11. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

May be true prize99. But look I got mine 3 months after it came out. I forgot to mention I put it on layaway 3 weeks after it came out. I ended up with a VER 4 system. I was wondering how thats possible so I dug a litte more. Turns out SONY will release more than one version at the same time. This is suposed to cut down on hacking or something. All I am saying is that even though it was bought on day one VER 4 could have been apart of the release lot. You need to look at his serial number to find out wich it is. Oh yeah Ver 1-3 has 10 Screws holding it shut. 4 has 8 screws.

-Del

12. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

True about the screws. I have a question though, anybody know anything about the new slim PS2's? Like how reliable they are with reading these medias. My version 7 PS2 is starting to take it's toll (unfortunatly electronics aren't built to last forever), and most of the places I have around here only sell used non fliptop PS2's instead of new. I just don't trust anything used when it comes to electronics. It's like buying a used car, you pay a little bit less for it, but you're also gonna get a little less use out of it. So I have been thinking about upgrading to the new slim version while I can still get some money out of my old PS2.