1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Annoying Problem!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Niobis, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Niobis

Niobis Regular member

Ok, here's the situation. I decided around Christmas I was going to get Swap Magic and start backing up games. I played my first back-up about 4 to 5 times and it worked great. When I decided to play an original game my PS2 was wack! Loading times were terriable! The game was GTA: SA and when I would go to my map it would take over 30 seconds to load it. I thought well GTA is a very big game so it must be because of that(thinking my laser was getting a little weak). About a week of this I decide to back-up another game Call of Duty. I load it up and start playing the fist mission. If you played it you can recall being on the boat and your commander talking to you. Well, the sound was slow, very slow! While waiting in line to get my mag. the commander was just now saying what he would have originally said while I was still on the boat. For example, say there's a guy getting ready to shoot a guy. Well, when I hear the gun shot from my TV the guy would already be lying on the ground bleeding! What happens is while in a cut scene the sound goes away my PS2 spins the disc fast(you know the sound of the disc spinning faster) then I can hear it load(standard loading noise, just a bit more noisy) but the video is still playing like it should but I can't hear anything but my PS2 trying to load. Then a few seconds later the sound comes back in. And then out again after about 30 seconds of cut scene. For example, if there is subtitles in the game. When it starts everything is fine then the fast spinning and all that comes in but the subtitles keep popping up then the sound comes in and the subs are way ahead of the sound. When the cut scene is almost over I am still hear what I should have heard during the middle of the cut scene.

Has anyone had this problem? Or, does anyone know what is the friggin' problem? I tried to explain it the best I could, sorry if I confused anyone during this time.

Edit: This happens with EVERY game I play! Also, I have taken it apart and painted it but I had no problems before I started playing back-ups. I've cleaned everything, by hand! The laser with alcohol, every nook and cranny with alcohol and a q-tip.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

only thing I can suggest is burning at lower speeds (1X or 2X) if you're burning the games at high speed (4X or more).

3. Niobis

Niobis Regular member

Well, when I did burn them I always burned them at 1x but I don't play my back-ups any longer. Only originals, the problem I am having is ten times worse when I try to play back-ups.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

that is weird, i have back ups of many games, including the two you mentioned, and all mine work just fine. I have had a bad burn before with an older burner when i would have video and sound lag. But since i got the new Sont DRU-700A last year i never have any of that. Plus te media may just be one that your PS2 doesn't like, have you tried different types?
    Like between -R and +R, and some other brands of media?
    I always use the Phillips 8X DVD-R discs myself. Never had a problem with them. And the load times are as good as the originals.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. WEStar

WEStar Active member

could it be that you moved something while you were cleaning and now it's misaligned?

6. Niobis

Niobis Regular member

My problem doesn't come from back-ups it comes from originals! I quit playing my back-ups because it was really bad. And I've taken it apart more than a few times and inspected every little thing inside, I seen nothing out of the ordinary. Just asking if anyone thinks it is my laser got weak from the back-ups(because I'm planning on buying a new one) or is it something else?

Note: when I take the top off and watch the laser move back and forth to load it does it more than it should. It will stop then spin the disc really fast, stop and then go back to loading.

7. icecoled

icecoled Member

Yea my friend did the swap majic tric because he had no soddering skills and he played ghost recon a few times then played GTA vice and he had the same problem you have. He stoped using the swap and now only playes regular games and there a little bit slow but still work better

8. mallaug

mallaug Regular member

Maybe you damaged something by force when swapping?

IT sounds like your PS2 has a problem. I have a PS2 tech manual repair guide .shows how to realign the tray and replace a lazer and other helpful stuff. just send me a pm if your interested.

9. Niobis

Niobis Regular member

Sounds good mallaug, I've sent you a PM. Thanks again!

10. mallaug

mallaug Regular member

I forgot to add it's not the slim version ps2. But might work.

11. Niobis

Niobis Regular member

I don't have a slim version, mines a version 9.