1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 back ups now sussed! what boot disk?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by gamewooky, Feb 18, 2005.

1. gamewooky

gamewooky Member

Uk wooky seeks help!

Got the PS2 back up bit sussed. Haven't got ps2 chipped. Would prefer boot discs etc. Bought Ps2 in 2002 think its a 300003 model (at work) not sure if the serial/ model makes a difference. So if anyone can give me advice on what swap dics etc are best and now this tool thing works to open the draw would appreciate it also a cheap uk or us site to purchase the swap dics etc. many thanks !

2. syzable

syzable Guest

The swap tool works by hooking onto a clip in the tray mechanism, really easy to do. I've just swapped my PS2 for the PSTwo and i find that even less hassle now with the slimtool. I got my original swap tool and discs from a computer fair for £15, but the new discs and slimtool i got from ***.slimtool.co.uk. You can also try ***.swap-magic.co.uk where they do the latest discs and swap tool for £17. Hope this helps.

3. gamewooky

gamewooky Member

Cheers syzable- will try the uk one and see. so the swop magic disk is the best one yer not sure how many of the swop disk types you can buy. will this swop disk work for all games do you know? Dont have many games so its not really an issue ! just signed up to this site today, have been looking on here for months now have learn't an awfull lot!

4. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Yes, go with Swap Magic version 3.3 (cd and dvd discs)

Along with the discs, you will either need to get a 'slidecard' or a 'fliptop' for your ps2. (used during the 'swap')

5. syzable

syzable Guest

No problem. Yes, swap magic works with most games straight away. Some games need something called dvdloader which can be downloaded from ***.swapmagicfix.com and involves doing a couple of extra swaps. There is a list on the site with what discs require dvdloader and how to use it. Good luck, you'll find it a breeze in no time.

6. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

You shouldn't even need cd/dvdloader with the new version of Swap Magic since it has the 'Special Boot' function now, correct?

7. gamewooky

gamewooky Member

ok- thanks to all. One other thing not sure if you can help looking at the uk website you suggested they say that quote

PS2 CD-R backups PAL or NTSC from any region
    PS2 DVD-R backups PAL or NTSC from any region
    PS2 Original import games from any region

So if im backing my orig games onto dvd+r as I have a few spare will these not work? the ps2 of mine plays dvd's that are plus without any problems!

any responses welcome ! just need to think of everything before purchasing!

Ta

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

If your ps2 reads +r movies, then it will play +r backups.

9. Peopo

Peopo Member

Sort of off topic, but my V4 PS2 plays DVD+R PS2 backups, but not +R movie backups. Not even after bitsetting to ROM. Doesn't really matter to me, as it's not my primary dvd player...just wanted to mention it; i think you just have to try out different media for compatibility checks

10. gamewooky

gamewooky Member

Ok question for Dragulaac!
    Now ordered my swap discs and are awaiting delivery!

slid card or flip top? You have confused me a little dont I just eject the swap disk and put my back-up one in and away we go ?

Sorry to be a pain!
    cheers Wooky!

11. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

No you don't. The reason the Swap Discs work is because you are going to be tricking your system. You load up Swap Magic, just like any original game. Then, when 'swapping' you open your tray without letting it know you're doing it and make the swap.

So, basically you trick it by using a fliptop or slidecard. You need one of these to make the swap successful.

The slidecard is about 8bucks and is basically the size of a credit card with a little notch cut out off it. You could easily make one out of an old card or something, there are measurements here somewhere. The only alteration you need to do to your ps2 is to take the front piece off of your console's disc tray. (with the ps2 logo on it)

The fliptop is probably about 25-30 bucks, but makes the swapping less of a hassle to you in the long run. You actually replace the top half of your ps2 case with this replacement fliptop cover.

12. gamewooky

gamewooky Member

All clear!! a bit more to it than meets the eye!
    Was wondering how an earth you slid the thing out !

Your the first person to tell me or I have read that the door strip piece has to come off

Thanks for your info ! No more questions hopefully!!

Wooky!