1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Backup Black And White Distorted Video Fix Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Seclude, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Seclude

Seclude Member

I've been burning games recently, and for some reason, they flash up and down, and are in black and white. I've tried using different burn speeds and burner programs, and also different discs, but I can't seen to figure out the reason. Can someone help me?

2. immortal5

immortal5 Regular member

Sounds like you trying to play a NTSC game on a pal machine or vice versa.

3. Seclude

Seclude Member

Hmm. I believe I have an NTSC system, and I've tried burning Family Guy and Shinobido: Way of the Ninja and they both come up all distorted like a broken 50's film in black and white. I can't even see what's going on. Maybe I have to burn it specifically as either PAL or NTSC? I should check my program and see if it's set to PAL or something, right? Is there any advice that can be offered, because I have quite a few games I need burned, but I don't want to waste any more of my Taiyu Yuden's.

4. immortal5

immortal5 Regular member

I believe they have to be patched to be played correctly. Do a search for those particular games and see if you turn up the patch. Good Luck.

5. Seclude

Seclude Member

After some trial and error since your reply to my post, I actually have a solution. Unfortunately, it took many of my discs to be sent to heaven during the process :(

I searched online for a while and finally came across a PAL to NTSC and a NTSC to PAL convertor patching tool, and a program that seems to be specified for the Wii, but worked for PS2 called RegionFrii, which inevitably, takes away a default region I guess.

I made a compressed file format of the combo of these 3 programs here incase anyone on the internet searches for them, because it took me forever to find: Sendspace // MegaUpload // FileFactory // FileSend // FileHost // SaveFile // FreeWebs
    NOTE: To Extract, You need 7-zip, which you should have anyway because it's the best compression and decompression tool out. You can find it at 7-Zip

What I did step by step was actually use the RegionFrii program first, but as I found out, some game images actually don't allow you to use the program. For me, Family Guy did, but Shinobido didn't. Most likely since it's designed for the Wii. I skipped this part for Shinobido since it didn't work so I just moved on to a different method.

I booted up the PS2 PAL 2 NTSC, browsed for my .iso and then "Patched" it. I burned at 2.4x using DVD-R Taiyu Yuden's, and what do you know? It worked. The thing is, with some games, the Y-Fix Offset option was a bit off, and the Family Guy disc displayed with a picture that didn't fit the screen. It was off-center and the bottom was cut off, but for Shinobido, it was set to an almost proper centered focus, definitely better to play with, though not perfect, so some games apparently vary with their Y-Fix settings. I used 48 for each disc. Also, I just enabled my TV to go in to 16:9 Widescreen setting in my Menu option, which helped A LOT for viewing the games. I don't mind playing in Widescreen at all.

So after the initial burn, I used my Swap Magic ofcourse(3.8 Plus), and realized that when I clicked "Default", it still had that black and white up and down distortion, so I tried again, and again... until it finally worked. I went to "Special", and then "NTSC". Booted the games, and the patcher screen appeared before the game loads asking you what out of the three versions of region you want to play under, and I just made sure it matched up with my Swap Magic settings of NTSC by pressing O(Circle). It loaded, and like I said, played the game!

I've seen quite a bunch of questions from newbies like me about this subject with no answer given, so hopefully this post is found by a decent amount of troubled gamers who need help and can follow the steps to learning why their game is like that, and how to fix it. Apparently, even with Swap Magic, you can't run PAL on NTSC PS2's(At least the older fat ones. Unsure about other's) and you need to patch and convert the PAL image to NTSC, and boot with NTSC settings.

Immortal5, thanks for the idea on figuring out the issue! If someone never stated anything about the region or a patch, I may not have tried so hard to try this out and get it to work.

6. immortal5

immortal5 Regular member

No problem. Glad you got it working. I remember reading something like that awhile back but never bothered with it since I never play any games that are out of region. Have fun.

7. theVerve

theVerve Member

Use dvd-r/w for your test games. I use it and if it don't work erase and try again. No dvdr saucers for your drinks eh?

There has been a thread about this, seems that you just didnt find it. Search for PAL to NTSC and it's the first result. Anyway here's the link
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121718

There are about three patchers in there and some patchers for the PSx games.

So this option is available in swap magic 3.8? I guess then that you don't have to patch the game since swap magic already lets you choose NTSC or PAL or whatever.

Can you share your swap magic 3.8? want to play backup psx games but my modchip doesnt seem to have that feature. I have an old modchip.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  8. theVerve

theVerve Member

Some cool games are released in europe but not released in the us or other ntsc regions. So this is the only way for people to play those games. Buy the PAl version and patch it to NTSc or vice versa. Of course swap magic or modchips are needed to play backups.

So i guess that adds to the fun,being able to play those games that is not available for you because of PAL and NTSC. Unless of course you have a multisytem tv then you wouldnt have to do those things to play it

9. Seclude

Seclude Member

If you mean rip an image from Swap Magic it doesn't seem possible, at least not without AnyDVD. I don't know. while running AnyDVD in the background, I tried zipping it, copying it, and ripping it. Honestly, it's not looking too good though right now. Most likely there is no way to share Swap Magic. Probably will have to buy it.

10. immortal5

immortal5 Regular member

You can't share Swap Magic because it needs to be a press disc in order for it to run. Also Swap magic can't play psx games only ps2 games. You need breaker pro for psx games.

11. Seclude

Seclude Member

PSX games? Doesn't that mean PS1?

12. immortal5

immortal5 Regular member

[/quote]

So this option is available in swap magic 3.8? I guess then that you don't have to patch the game since swap magic already lets you choose NTSC or PAL or whatever.

Can you share your swap magic 3.8? want to play backup psx games but my modchip doesnt seem to have that feature. I have an old modchip.[/quote]

That's what he was asking for.

13. Seclude

Seclude Member

Can you share your swap magic 3.8? want to play backup psx games but my modchip doesnt seem to have that feature. I have an old modchip.[/quote]

That's what he was asking for.[/quote]

I'm out of it tonight. My bad.

14. theVerve

theVerve Member

oh i thought I read somewhere that it could run psx(ps1) backup games

I have swap magic 2.0 and 3.3(i think) and it runs because I have a modchip. I was able to install the exploit (cdloader etc) to the memory card, but I can't get it to run from the memory card. Could you help me out?

Yes, the Playstation 1 is also PSX or PS1

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  15. Seclude

Seclude Member

16. theVerve

theVerve Member

Yeah, I have read that it does play psx games. That's why I've been looking for Swap magic since my old modchip don't support it.

What tool do you use? FlipTop cover or the slide tool?

17. Seclude

Seclude Member

I use a slide tool that I made out of a credit card.

18. theVerve

theVerve Member

hehe cool

19. skunkyg

skunkyg Guest

I have a flip top and it works freeking great!
    So far I have gad no problems, and its very easy.
    I have swap magic 3.6 though, byt it works fine.

20. skunkyg

skunkyg Guest

Sorry I meant I have had No problems!