1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 backup confusion (ratchet&clank 3)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dbunder, Feb 19, 2005.

1. dbunder

dbunder Member

I recieved my pre-modded ps2 (slimline, matrix infinity w/ 1.39 firmware) the other day and have started backing up my games and stowing the originals in a safe place.

All have worked except for Ratchet and Clank 3. It's a PAL version of the game (all the place where I got the ps2 from had was NTSC models). The disc loads and whatnot, but the video is a bit wonky. There's a big black strip across the top of the screen. This is on the original - I haven't tried to back it up yet since the original doesn't even work.

Is this because R&C3 isn't playable from a modchip? Is it because I'm trying to play a PAL game on an NTSC ps2? What's going on?

I've gone through the PAL->NTSC patch tutorial in these forums and it looks like R&C3 needs ADR Patcher 0.5 to convert it to NTSC. Would it work if I converted it using this program?

Excuse the ignorance - this is all very new to me. Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yep

3. dbunder

dbunder Member

I figured as much.

So I patched the ISO. First with Adrenaline Patcher 0.5 (with PAL->NTSC selected). It found 3 marks in the file and I told it to patch it. Then I checked the file modification date and it looked like it had been modified a few seconds ago. Just to make sure I ran the search/patch with ADR once again and it still found 3 marks and (supposedly) patched those. Burned it with DVD Decryptor, still getting the offset video. I compared what happens in the 2 discs (one PAL, one NTSC??) and the results were exactly the same.

Is this game just unpatchable or am I missing something? The big PAL->NTSC thread on these boards suggests that the pal2ntsc fix doesn't work with this game and to try ADR - but no dice.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Yes, some games can't be patched. Thanks for letting me know that it isn't compatible with the ADR Patcher. I'll update the PAL-->NTSC thread.

Try forcing the signal to NTSC. Hold Triangle + Circle to enter the congiguration menu and change your settings.

When you force the PAL signal to NTSC, the screen will be off-center. See if Ratchet & Clank 3 has a screen adjust option at the main menu.

5. dbunder

dbunder Member

Alright. I'm dumb. But it still can't be patched.

I didn't unzip the .NFO file from ADR Patcher. Just the executables and patch definitions. Apparently, when the .NFO file is missing the patcher won't work correctly. (???) So I unzipped the whole archive and reran it. It patched fine this time.

What happens when I boot it is the normal startup stuff, the screen doesn't go wonky (which i'd assume means it took the NTSC patch), but I get sound and no video whatsoever.

Burned on TDK media (nothing but problems w/ it in the past, but it's all I have at the moment - new stuff coming on Thursday) burnt at 1x. May be the media, may not. Gonna try again as soon as I get my yummy Princo media. I'll be sure to post my results here.

6. dbunder

dbunder Member

Alright. It wasn't the media. Stick R&C3 on the unpatchable list.