1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Backup Help

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by cornholio, Jun 22, 2004.

1. cornholio

cornholio Member

I've read the forums -- in fact I've read a lot of posts, so please don't flame me for being somewhat slow. I've purchased PS2 Swap Magic DVD and CD discs along with a fliptop. For purpose of testing, I've backed up Need For Speed Underground using the instructions provided in DVD Decryptor (which should be somewhat updated, if possible). Here's my experience.

I've not yet installed the fliptop case and am able to get the PS2 (v10, I think -- it is BRAND NEW with the bundled network adapter) to boot up the Swap Magic DVD fine. Since I don't have a slide card, I tried to use eject -- which work just fine -- and I inserted the backup and hit the X to play the backup. No dice. The red ring around the screen came up.

So, I've got a few questions. Should I retry to burn the backup using DVD Decryptor -- perhaps I didn't follow the directions properly? Why is the PS2 able to eject with the Swap Magic DVD in the drive and seemingly able to read my (faulty?) backup? If that works, wouldn't that suggest that the fliptop/slide card is really unnecessary? If it is, I can't think why I would want to go through the effort (I know, it's not that much effort) of installing the fliptop.

Thanks for reading this and considering a response. Again, I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I really have done my homework. Take care, folks.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you cant hit eject and put in a backup.

3. cornholio

cornholio Member

Thanks for the info. If anyone can tell me the logic behind why this is, I would be appreciative. I certainly believe you, I'm just a bit more curious about HOW things actually work.

Appreciate the help.

4. Dezmond

Dezmond Member

everytime you hit the reset/eject button on your PS2, a signal is given to the motherboard. This will check if your game is legal. If you don't press it, it won't do it and you can play your backup or import.