1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Backup playing

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bladestor, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

Hello, does the PS2 play DVD movie backups without a mod? I know it should, but I need to know for sure. The reason I ask is that I have a US V1 PS2, and as we all know V1's cant read DVD+R. So, I ordered a new laser from a website and was guaranteed 3 different times that it would read DVD+R. I got the laser, installed it, and tried 4 diferent movie backups but none worked. I know the new laser works because I tried it with original PS2 games, but it wont read my DVD+R movie backups. The same 4 backups DO work in other standalone DVD players but not the PS2. Could it be the media? I tried TDK and Verbatim. If anyone knows what I should do, please help.

Thanks

2. shopchris

shopchris Member

nope. not any backups can boot on original ps2.

3. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

What? Movie backups wont work on a un-modded
    PS2? Why not? It's not like they need to be force booted like game backups !

What proof do you have?

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Back up DVD's do work on an unmodded system. I have plenty of back up DVD movies and i play them on my v.7 unmodded ps2 all the time. I am using ritek DVD-r though. I told you that it was odd that they said it would play DVD+r. Its just a new laser of the original old one you had. It doesnt do something the original doesnt, its just new.

5. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

Thats just great!!! They gaurenteed it would work, so they better take it back !

However, it does have different numbers on the sticker than my old laser? And another thing, with the new laser I get a disc read error. With the old one I just got the red screen.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  6. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  7. jeffj

jeffj Guest

I tried to play a dvd movie backup on my non-modded V4 ps2 last night with no luck. I am using ritek media and nero to burn.

can the older versions play backups without a mod chip?

if not, will they play them once modded?
    -thanks a lot for the info,
    -jeff

8. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

DVD Movie back ups work on my unmodded V4 PS2