1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Backup Problem Mystery

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dohati, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dohati

dohati Member

Hi all, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Here is the situation, I have a BTC DRW 1008IM (DVDRW-IDE1008) with firmware version 159 (latest version), the drive itself is maybe a year old.

The drive burns cd and dvd based movies no problem but recently I've been having problems backing up PS2 games. When I first bought the drive I backed up every game I have and they all play fine with no problems. In the last 2 months or so, I tried to backup 3 more games but they all failed. The DVD would finish burning but when I try to play it, it isn't smooth, the sound and picture would be slow and laggy and always freezes up. The game freezes in different places though, sometimes it would freeze during the intro movie or sometimes on the title screen.

Since the beginning, I've used DVD Decrypter to burn at the 1x speed so the burning process hasn't changed. I've combed the forums for an answer and found that poor quality media would be the most likely suspect. The first batch of dvds that I bought were cheap CompUSA dvds that were ID'd as Princo's, after I used all of those I got some Riteks.

Currently, I use G04 Riteks for PS2 backups, a brand that is generally considered very good. I've used both shiny silver top Riteks and branded Ridata dvds. I tried switching to TDK but the end result is the same and since the games don't freeze at the same place its hard to tell which burn came out better. I thought maybe its my PS2 getting old but if that were the case shouldn't my old backups start freezing? I popped in my backup of Wild Arms 3, a Princo backup, and it played just like the original. Is it the actual dvd drive that needs replacing? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

did you try cleaning your ps2 laser?

3. dohati

dohati Member

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention, I did clean the lense on both the burner and the PS2. I'm going to Office Depot today to buy some different brand dvds to test them. If they work its probably the media, if they don't, there's probably something wrong with the burner though I can still burn dvd/vcd movies on the drive.

4. DKujo97

DKujo97 Member

I was about to post this same thread. To make this quick. I have a Plexor PX-708A single layer burner which is about a year old (maybe 16 months). Was using Nero mainly with RitekG04 DVD-R media. I was getting at least a 95% success rate. Life was good.
    Started to go bad. Now I can't seem to burn any of the new ps2 games. Switching to Dvd decrypter helped only a little(bumped me up to a 10% success rate). Still have the lagging and glitching until the final freeze. I have also tried ritekG05 and verbatium DVD-R 8X. Just restored my comp, reinstalled newest drivers, cleaned both lens from ps2 and burner. Ps2 is only 4 months old, version 9, swapmagic 3.3 with fliptop. I don't think that's it. I can burn any movie and it runs perfectly. I'm out of ideas. Any help would be great. Thanks.

5. 50race

50race Member

I thought i had a similar problem but it turned out to be the disc i was backing up from. the game have scratching on it so i thought i had better back it up before it quit working from more scratching. the dvd decrypter didn't show errors but the backup didnt work well. so i barrowed a friends original that was brand new with no visible scratches. the backup then worked like the original. i us memorex dvd+r 8x.

if your original is in good shape sorry for ur waste of time reading this

6. dohati

dohati Member

Hmmm, is that true? I thought that if your dvd drive is able to successfully read/rip a disk, whether it is scratched or not would have no effect on the image. So if the original was scratched or dirty while you were making an image of it, those blemishes would cause errors in the resulting image and plus those errors wouldn't be caught be the ripping program? Can anyone confirm/deny this for sure?

7. dohati

dohati Member

Nobody knows? Any input would be appreciated.

8. MSTFreak

MSTFreak Member

i would also like to know... i am having the exact same problem backing up tiger woods PGA Tour 2005. long load times, skipping and stuttering. im using the riteks as well, and never had a problem with them until now. help would be appreciated.

9. DKujo97

DKujo97 Member

I did have some success fixing the problem because I rebuilt the .iso for mercenaries and that helped me to create a successful backup, however when I rebuilt the .iso for Tiger woods 2005, it couldn't load at all. I'll try again with a different buring software, but Nero shouldn't have been the problem. I'll also try to rebuild a few other of my problem games to see if cutting the file size down helps. I'll let you know how it turns out. If anybody else has any ideas on how to stop our skipping and freezing problem, please help. If there are other people that are having the same problem, let us know what software and media you are using. maybe there's a pattern.

10. MSTFreak

MSTFreak Member

well, after burning 2 coasters i figured it out. looks like its the media guys. seems ritek just doesnt agree with the newer ps2 games out there. i burned it once with one of my special new egg dvds that came with my burner and it works fine. just go get yourself some new media. ;)

11. MSTFreak

MSTFreak Member

ok this is very strange. i checked the neweggs with DVD identifier and it seems they are just branded riteks! the only difference is that my regular silver top riteks has the id ritekG05 and the newegg has ritekG04... hmmm, looks like it works with one but not the other... or maybe I just got a lucky burn? I think the x4 are G04, go get yourself some and post feedback. its worth a try.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  12. McIver

McIver Member

Im having the same problem, my old backups work great. but anything I try to do recently doesnt even load. I got it to load once, played it for a few hours, and it wont load again. tried three diffrent type's of media, (Verbatim, sony, and a diffrent verbatim)
    please help!

13. dohati

dohati Member

I picked up some Maxell DVD+R 8x from Office Depot and reburned Shadow Hearts, the game definately works better than my Ritek backup but still not perfect. DVD-Identifier id's the dvd manufacturer id as Maxell and media type id as 002. It seems as if media is the problem...

14. DKujo97

DKujo97 Member

I have both the ritekG04 and ritekG05. I definitily notice a difference with the G04's. The G05's rarely work with the new games. The G04's work slightly better, but by no means are they the cure all. For Example, I'm only getting about 20% success when tring to backup tigerwoods 2005 with the G04's. I've been 0 for 5 with the G05's for Woods 2005. I'm going to get some different types of media, (memorex, sony, etc.) and see if I can notice a difference. I'm getting close to selling my burner and getting a new one just to see if that helps. I'll reply with my findings with the diffenent media types. Has anyone been getting 90% or better burns with new games(Woods 2005, GTA San Andreas, and so on). If so, what's your configuration? (media, software, and burner)? Thanks.

15. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i have 100% success with a pioneer 107, ritek g04.

16. dohati

dohati Member

Just an update, today I burned Shadow Hearts again using the Maxell DVD+R 8x that I got from Office Depot using Nero at 4x speed (it was the lowest speed I could set it at) and for some reason, the back up so far works perfect, just like the original. I don't know why because I had just burned this a few days earlier using DVD Decrypter at 1x speed with the same dvds and that backup doesn't work as well as the one I made today. I'm not sure but now it seems like the program you use to burn the game may affect the quality of the backup. I might reburn some of my other games with Nero, I'll try to keep you updated.

17. dohati

dohati Member

Just a quick update, I've found that burning speed affects burn quality opposite to what you would normally think. I just a few days ago burned Project Snowblind using Fuji Film DVD+R, ID'd as TYG02. On my first burn I used the slowest speed, 2x and Nero. Game came out choppy and laggy so I burned again but this time at 4x speed. To my suprise, the back up came out perfect. I then burned Devil May Cry 3 at 4x speed and again came out perfect. I'll probably burn at 4x speed until something comes up.