1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 backup

Discussion in 'PS2' started by atripp19, Jan 9, 2003.

1. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I have a question. I have burned ps2 games onto my hard drive and then copied them back to a dvd+r disc. I have no problems doing this. I bought a new dvd rom drive so that I could copy on the fly. When I do copy on the fly it tells me at the end that it was copied good but when I put the disc in my ps2 it doesn't load. You can the disc spinning and the laser trying to read it. When the laser tries to read the disc I can hear a clicking noise. I have a Sony DVD internal player and a Memorex external DVD/+R burner. The whole reason I bought the DVD player was to be able to copy on the fly. Any thoughts on what I shoud do? I am using Nero to do both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2003
  2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

You never told us what modchip you have to boot DVD backups !?!
    I am using nero too, but you need Nero version 5.5.9.17 or higher !

3. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I'm using the Magic 3.5 chip. The version of Nero I'm using is 5.5.8.5. Does the version of Nero make that big of a differance in copying on the fly because it works fine with putting it on my hard drive first. If it does can I upgrade to the new version or will I have to buy the updated software?

4. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  5. freakyg

freakyg Member

Is DVD+R supported by your modchip? Does your ps2 support DVD+R?

Have you tested with DVD-R?

I've had all success with DVD-R.

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

On what IDE cable is your Reader and Writer on? If they are on the same cable than that could be your main problem. Read through my tutorial it will explain why http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105 If the version of Nero you have can burn DVD's (which it did fine before as you stated) than that version is okay, it is something else.

7. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I don't believe that the reader and the writwr are on the same ide cable. My writer is an external and is connected via a high speed usb cable, but I could be wrong. I have also tried using Alcohol 120% but using that I can't get it to work either way. When using Alcohol copied from the hard drive it will copy the game but will not load in ths ps2. When I try to copy on the fly it won't show my writer as being an option to use. It will only show the reader. When I copy on the fly with Nero what spped should I put the reader at? I can only set my write speed to 2.4x.

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't suggest you doing Disc to Disc or On the fly (same thing). If it worked before by just using the DVD Burner as a Reader & Writer then I have to say to you keep doing it that way. It seems to be that the DVD reader you installed is the culprit. Don't worry about on the fly copying it really only saves you a few minutes for DVD copying but for CD copying it makes a difference.

9. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

OK now this makes no sense at all. I copied a different game using on the fly and the game loaded just fine. Are there games that can't be copied and work? I copied JetX20 using both methods and got the same result for both. The ps2 tries to read the game but wont. I had the same problem with ATV Off Road Fury 2 also. I'm using the Magic 3.5 chip.