1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 backups don't work PLEASE HELP!!! They are slow and dont load past the title screen.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by kalclash, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kalclash

kalclash Guest

I have recently purchased a copy of Alcohol 120% and have tried burning EA fightnight, GTA SA, and NFSU2. However when it comes to loading up the games they are extremely SLOW and rarely ever work past the title screen. GTA eventually loads to the main game after about 5 to 10 minutes but every time it needs to load something new it takes just as long again.

What am I doing wrong, I had exactly the same problem when copying with Gamecloner and my friend has the same problem too. I've spent so much money on this and am at my wits end.

2. D_Holden

D_Holden Guest

What type of media are you using. I had a problem with ps2 v12 w/matrix. My problem ended up being media. I switched to Ridata G04 -r and I have had no problems. Just my .02

3. kalclash

kalclash Guest

I'm using Data Writes flagship discs at the mo. I'm so confused as evryone seems to be able to backup their games but me.

Would the quality of the media really make that much of a difference from not working at all to working perfectly?

Thanks for taking the time out to help me.

4. D_Holden

D_Holden Guest

When I first started backing my games up I had the same problems. Not using really good media can cause the laser to work too hard and heat up causing freeze ups and slow loading. You can order Ritek G04 just about anywhere just make sure they are authentic Ritek Ridata and not "just like" Ritek. If you are inpatient like I was then another really good brand would be Verbatim 4x dvd-r. You can usually find the verbatim at any office store or computer store. I know Best Buy, Comp Usa carry the Verbatims. Let me know how you make out.

5. gatemaker

gatemaker Member

I had same problem with datawrites.
    Use Ritek and burn at 2x max with alcohol 120%.They work every time for me.

6. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

I am having the exact same problem. I have only managed to get ICO up and running and that is cos it is s CD based game.
    I am using Alcohol but when I use the image burning wizard it doesn't give me the option to burn any slower than 4x???
    XxXSebXxX

7. gatemaker

gatemaker Member

When you put the blank DVD in, use the autoplay option from the pop up dialogue box "burn disc with alcohol 120%" instead of manually opening the program.
    It should then let you burn slower.
    Don't ask me why this is but it works for me.

8. PS2girly

PS2girly Member

Alcohol is better for drinking :)

9. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

what makes it better is to use the dvd + . those are great for ea games. they make the game load up faster and there is no lag. try those and see what happen. i would recommend ritek dvd +, but after awhile the dvds go bad. no clue why.....and it probably won't happen to you. but i burnt 3 ea games with the ritek and after a month of use, the dvds won't work anymore. and i know i only played the games only 3-4 times before the ps2 suddenly tells me there is no disk in the console (tried from different online stores......dvds). so now i stick with the taiyo yuden brand (been six months and still going strong). if buying on line go to newegg.com (shipping is cheap and fast!!.....i love them), blankmedia.ca (they have the real deal on real dvd brands) or meritline.com (but cross your fingers when you order...or you might get a bad batch or the wrong brand). oh yeah!!!...verbatim are excellent also (they are the azo media brand)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  10. chelliss

chelliss Member

I always struggled using alcohol to burn games, didnt get around around alot of the copywrite protection. I downloaded dvd decrypter and havent had a problem since, works first time everytime with what ever media I use, give it a shot http://www.dvddecrypter.com/.

A few games need patching and so forth but not many.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

try DVD Decrypter, i use it for all my back up's and it always works. Also i have found that with my PS2 likes the -R much better than the +R.
    I use the Phillips DVD-R 8X DVD'S and they work every time with no problems.
    But i have used Alcohol 120% too and it worked but my trial ran out and i figured why pay all that money when DVD Decrypter is free and works just as good for games. But i don't think Alcohol 120% is the problem, more like the media.