1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Backups on a PS3 (Theory)

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by StarRhino, Jan 7, 2007.

1. StarRhino

StarRhino Member

OK, i dont have a PS3 but i do have an idea on how to run PS2 backups on a PS3 without a MOD chip

1. Download Linux (Fedora Core 5) and install it in the PS3 HD (or whatever you do to run Linux on a PS3)

2. Download a PS2 Linux base Emulator called PS2emu

3. Upload the backup to the PS3 HD and save it in the OS

4. Then you should be able run the backup games using PS2emu

In theory it sould work, you run Linux, then open PS2emu, then open the Game

** give me some feed back please **

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. ferrytran

ferrytran Guest

ps2 emulator is not a ps3 emulator. so it wont work

3. StarRhino

StarRhino Member

im not talking about runnning PS3 back ups on a PS2 emulator man. im talking about running PS2 back ups using the Linux OS on a PS3

4. lpark25

lpark25 Member

i dont think that would work. from linux they limit your access to the video ram.

5. StarRhino

StarRhino Member

ok, if thats the case, Linux is a Open OS, so couldnt someone just re-program the OS to be more compatible with the hardware.

6. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Also the PS3 only has 256megs of ram. Once you run linux and an emulator I doubt there would be enough memory left to run the game. Plus I dont think there is PS2 emulator that complete works right. Most games dont work and PS2emu was last updated in 2004 so newer games wouldnt work on it

7. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

no emulations man...

hard rip load on Hard drive then play from HD. at least that untill BD is cheap enough to burn

8. MrXToTheN

MrXToTheN Guest

it would never work even if u would recode linux, cuz the ps3's hypervisor blocks the access to the more powerful parts of the system.

And the best known ps2 emu is pcsx2 by the way and even that is still not enjoyable.

9. PDOWNZ

PDOWNZ Regular member

well, it doesnt matter when the EMU was released for the compatibility issues and maybe you still could play the classic SNES EMUS or even GBC EMUS

does the PS3 have enought RAM for that?

10. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

No, PS3 has 512 megs of RAM. That can be run together if need be. They just need to get the OS to use both. I still don't get why people can't see that while the PS3 RAM is seperated, it can still be used jointly.

11. AE27

AE27 Regular member

The main memory is 256meg of XDR ram running at 3.2ghz. The other 256 is GDDR3 Vram (video ram) running at 700mhz.

12. realTNT

realTNT Member

Heres what I think, if some would rip the swap magic program from the swap magic disc, or figure out how that works and then convert that to something to you can put on the hard drive to work kind of like an .exe file, the you run that program while you have your ps2 game in the playstation, then hit X and it should run the game. I think that would be the easiest way to play PS2 back-ups on the PS3.