1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 backups with dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'PS2' started by caraloca, Mar 11, 2004.

1. caraloca

caraloca Guest

Hi, This is the first time I'm using dvd decrypter to backup a ps2 game and I have a stupid question that maybe I already know the answer but I want to confirm. I was reading a tutorial from here at afterdawn (http://dvdtodvdr.notlong.com) and it said the following;
    Now you need to select the image file from the harddrive. Click the source filename in DVD Decrypter's window and it pops up a file dialog. Note that if you have other than NTFS filesystem, you might have multiple files on your harddrive now, one of them is with extension .DVD and this is the file you need to select -- if you have NTFS, select the only file you see in the directory you selected and click OK.
    Ready to burn.

------------------------------
    My question; when I look in the source file name, I see 2 files DVDIMAGE.ISO and DVDIMAGE.MDS, whichone should I burn?. (it has to be the .iso file only, right?).
    Thank you for your help.

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

load either of them it will burn it anyway..

3. martynste

martynste Regular member

select the "dvdimage.iso" not the .mds. i have used this software to make all my ps2 backups and it is yet to fail me.
    cyprien, the .mds file is only a couple of meg how will this file burn a successful backup?

4. caraloca

caraloca Guest

that's what I thought.
    Thank you.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if you are using fat32 with an image over 4gigs, dvd decrypter makes 2 images and the .mds file links them together. It just points to the image, so it is the same as burning the image.

6. caraloca

caraloca Guest

Thank you for your help.

7. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

martynste: the mds cues the iso to be burnt, selecting either works.

8. javalley

javalley Member

i've had a lot of trouble with .mds when you burn it looks complete but they won't work

9. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Burning either is the same exact thing, that isn't your problem. it only makes the mds because some programs cant straight burn an iso, they needs to burn the mds which tells the burner to burn the iso.

10. ps2back

ps2back Guest

For Playstation2 / DC / Xbox backups and modded systems:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2004
  11. JOwens

JOwens Member

Hello, Yes I am new at this and I did read the FAQ. I have a PS2 Version 9 SCPH-50001 with a MAGIC V 50K modchip using a PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A and DVD Decrypter. I used ISO Read (1x) and ISO Write (1x)with Imation DVD-R and all I can make is coasters..
    My PS2 will play backup PS1 games, backup DVD-R and DVD+R movies but not backup PS2 games.. It seems that I can backup my PS2 games but the PS2 comes up with the red screen asking for a PS2 format disk. Any help is greatful.

12. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

start a new thread with your question JOwens. Sounds like a modchip problem (which i can't be much help on).

13. rubberman

rubberman Regular member

i also used DVD decrypter to make an ISO image of metal of honor:rising sun. It produced several files.I selected the iso file and made a coaster. I have fat32 system. I normally use PrimoDVD to backup games.

14. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

since you have a fat32, you might wanna burn the mds just incase.

15. rubberman

rubberman Regular member

DVD Decrypter already selected the MDS file for me. Still made a coaster. Gets to the LOADING screen of MOHRS and hangs.

16. Mudshark

Mudshark Member

JOwen, I have the same version PS2 with the same chip. Try this. Insert the backup, close tray then push the green reset button . It should go red, then turn it back on and it should boot direct from the backup. Always works for me.

17. odingiant

odingiant Guest

[bold]A question for those smarter than I[/bold]: I've installed a PS2 fliptop and use DVD Swap Magic. I used DVD Decryptor to back-up
    It works like a champ through the intro and menus, however when I initiate a game (training, campaign, etc.) instead of going to a loading screen, it just fades to a black screen and stays black. The DVD is spinning, but I can't figure out the issue. Is this associate with the new fade copyright protection? Is there a fix for this? Suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.

18. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

What speed did you read at, burn at and what media did you burn to?

19. odingiant

odingiant Guest

I read at 3.5x - 6.3x. I write at 1x. I use DVD-R media. I've read the FAQ for newbies and tried to locate a fix, by the way.

20. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

What brand is the media?