1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 backups

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by daiviien, Jan 17, 2005.

1. daiviien

daiviien Guest

hi, i got a few questions about making ps2 backups. i just went to a stor to buy dvd+rw (this way if i screw up i can rewrite), well my 1st question is whats the difference between a dvd-rw and a dvd+rw?

2. is there any programe out that i can make perfect backups of a game without moding my ps2?

3. do i need any special type of dvd for the backups?

thanx
    daiviien

2. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

1. most ps2's dont read +rw & -rw
    2. no
    3. -r strongly recommended or +r

3. daiviien

daiviien Guest

hi, yea i got dvd+r's too but untill i figure the backup thing i dont wana wast them (iv wasted like 6 so far)

um....so i guess i gata get a mod chip than, is alcohol120% a good programe for the backups? or what programe do u use (if u burn backups)

i thought if i booted up a made image it would work on my ps2, the closest iv goton was a disk read error (normaly i get "pleaz insert a ps or ps2 formated disk".)

thanx

4. psmo290

psmo290 Member

is there anyway to backup a ps2 game to make it play perfectly just as the original did?

In my experiences, the backups are just a little slower than the original. On GTA: San Andreas, the backup was way... slower than the original. The media I'm using the Ritek G04, i have heard this is a good media.

5. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

i use alcohol 120 and dvd decrypter and all my backups work fine. there is always a slight difference b/w the orginal and backup but nothing major. I had the same problem with gta when i burned it on a memorex, then i burned it on maxell and everything works. Or ig ur ps2 reads +r, then use +r for games that cause problems.

6. daiviien

daiviien Guest

hi

i got alcohol120% and dvd Decrypter also.
    lol and now im making an image of gta on alcohol. but im useing a stapls dvd+rw(they were cheaper, thought they would all be the same but different brands. does it matter the brand?)

well im hopin it works, ill get back to ya on that 1.

what do i do with the dvd Decrypter?

thanx
    d

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  7. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

Where do you find a mod chip for the ps2? And are they easy to install? I'm very unfamiliar with console games and would like to learn how to do it.

8. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

the brand matters, because of quality. for decrypter, all you do is go to Mode: ISO-read than ISO-write and don't use +rw or -rw because more likely the won't work.
    hackwolf: check this out http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105
    If u're unfamilar with soldering than go with filp top and swap magic discs. Do a google search n u'll find many places to get ur stuff.

9. bzboarder

bzboarder Guest

there was a huge faq list posted on this site that will answer all of your questions... you can find it here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/69274

on a personal note ive found that -r is the only really consistant way of getting good backups. i used to use cheap quality media i bought at stores because they were so much cheaper, it worked well -or so i thought- but i tried a good quality media and the results are noticeable. basically as you will find a lot on this site: good media + burning slow = results. but yeah, check out the faqs list... itll help you a ton.