1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 booting problems for a newbie

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by homer81, May 20, 2004.

1. homer81

homer81 Member

my PS2 has been making horrible clacking noises and freezing when running games for a couple of years now (it's pretty old). This week it just stopped running games altogether. It doesn't play CDs either, but the noise isn't so bad as with games. I had some idea that it might be an alignment problem, but I really don't know much about the tech side. Also, I took it into a repair shop and it worked fine there, but doesn't work at home. The fan is fine and I don't keep it on the floor...I'm clueless. Any ideas?

2. qbano

qbano Member

your problem has to do with what i call the laser guide. if you take the cover off the ps2 them take the cover off the dvd/cd drive (4 tiny screws)..you will be able to see the laser..hold and slide the laser back and forth..if it slides and makes a rubbing noise (like rubbing a pen on the ground)then you know this is your problem.