1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 burning specifics

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by crumb, Feb 26, 2005.

1. crumb

crumb Member

Sorry I'm new to this...

It seems simple enough to burn the image. I've burned PS1 games dozens of times, and CDs/DVDs in general for many years.

My questions are about burning specifics. When I burned PS1 games, I had to make sure it was done in Mode 2 so it's recognized properly. Mode 1 was just for CD-ROM data, so that was that. Do I have to do something similar with PS2 games, selecting a specific burn "mode" when doing so?

Next question: Some sites recommend I burn as slow as possible. I used to burn all my PS1 games a 1x, but when my old burner died, I had to burn with my newer 48x CD-RW drive, and the slowest it could do was like 8x, sometimes 12x, depending on the disc brand. I didn't experience any problems playing them at this faster speed, even though my brother (on his old PSone) said that if you burn too fast, FMVs will skip, and he said he saw this happen, even though no one I know experiences this. So what speed should I burn PS2 games at?

Also, I read that brand matters. I use Memorex 8x DVD-R discs, which I know to be a good brand. I should be fine with this, right? Some sites say the "cheap brands" will weaken the laser.

Thanks!

2. crumb

crumb Member

um... anyone??

3. Gamer66

Gamer66 Member

Hi bud, just use DVD decrypter in iso mode to rip the dvd discs and to write them it will do all the rest for you. I find its not the make of disk that makes the dif its just the dye on them thay need to be nice and dark and dvd -r is the only type of disk i can get to work right. i hope this help...

4. mingster

mingster Member

You generally get what you pay for and the slower the writing the better. Also, the slowest writing speed of your writer can change depending on the writing speed of the media.

For example, if you use 8x media, then your writer, at its slowest setting, may write at 2x. Whereas, if you bought 4x media say, then your writer may write at 1x on its slowest setting. This partly depends on your writer of course!

Also, some people say that +R is better for some games, if your ps2 can handle them.

5. crumb

crumb Member

Yeah I just ran a test mode, and the slowest the 8x discs burn at is 2x (actually, 2.1x according to DVD Decrypter, a program I've used for quite a while)

Will I experience any complications at 2x?

6. mingster

mingster Member

You shouldn't most of the time, but you might get the occasional one or two games that won't be perfect.

For example, i tried to backup need for speed 2, and although there were no copying errors, loading took ages and sometimes the game tried to load as i was driving along! I had a similar problem with GTA san andreas as well.

If this happens, the only solution is to switch media to a better quality dye and/or use slower media. Some games also work better on +Rs if your ps2 is not too old.

Get yourself DVD Identifier, which will tell you the true manufacturer of your blank DVDs. Some dyes are better than others - look at http://www.nomorecoasters.com for a list of good media and the brands which they sell under.

7. hursty

hursty Active member

memorex are a untrusted brand of media,they could be made by anyone,run one through this to see who made it

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com