1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 can't boot up backups, originals ok

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Rogue_77, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I'm looking at a PS2 system for a friend of mine. They have a modded system, of what I'm not sure. Recently, they've been having problems of loading up any of their backups (system will shoot the discs back out) while the originals load up fine. I've cleaned the lens but nothing. Does anyone else have suggestions on possible fixes? The only thing I can think of is adjusting the laser voltage.

Thanks for any info anyone can give

2. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Did you use Sony brand disc? Anything else is pretty if-fie?

3. steimy

steimy Active member

you will need to give some more information
    1. how is the PS2 modded to play back ups
    2. what type of media does he use, and did these games work before

4. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I haven't removed the bottom cover to examine the chip so I'll give as much info as I can. From what I've been told and seen, it looks like he's used various types of media for the backups, exact brands unsure of as alot of the discs do not have a brand labeled onto the discs. It did work before without any issues.

I'll try to open up the bottom cover to figure out what type of chip is used but I've never opened up that section before and I'm finding some of the cover won't come loose. Should the whole cover come off without issue as long as I remove the 8 screws fastening the system together?

5. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

What version is it? scph xxxxxx?

Version 1-3 is using a 400B laser that is not very good. Wearing out faster than version 5-7. In your case, I think the laser has lost its voltage output value. The 2 coils are probably weak; adjusting it may help. But, not for novice. Your best bet is to have an expert swapping out new laser. Cause new laser don't always means come to you 100% ready to install. You have to adjust a little bit of the azimuth and cogs height to make it work perfect. Sometimes even reduce/increase the pots to get it perfect.

Good luck!

6. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

the model is a scph 39001

My photonic theory is minimal but I should be able to swap the laser if required. I'm wondering though should I adjust both the laser strength for DVD and CD given this problem or should I just stick to DVD voltages

7. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

If you playing dvd's base games; just the dvd's side is good.

One note: Poor quality disc wearing out your laser bad. Back it up onto a better brand (Sony) and play on that.