1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 cd burning problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - CD backup discussion' started by exile78, Apr 2, 2005.

1. exile78

exile78 Member

First let me say hello and thanks a lot to all you contributors, i have lurked here for a few weeks (a few weeks ago i knew nothing about burning ps2 games) and learnt lots of extremely useful stuff - i have burned loads of ps2 games to dvd, no coasters. I have a v3 ps2 and swap magic 3.3 with slide tool.

My problem is with cd games - some burn fine (maximo, marvelvscapcom2), but a couple of others (worms forts under siege, snes station) give me a 'not a valid ps2 disc' after swapping discs with swap magic. I have tried alcohol 120% and also dvd decrypter. Probably I think it is my media (memorex 52x, kind of blue/greenish bottom)- but i have had problems finding out which cd is best for ps2. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Are you burning at the lowest speed possible? I burn my cd based ps2 games with clone cd, as it lets you burn at 1x.

3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Also, to relate to you alittle bit, I used to burn my cd based ps2 games using alcohol 120%. I was burning them at the lowest speed possible, 8x.

Most of the time my games would boot, but I did have problems with a few games not booting at all and I could not figure it out. So I burned the discs with clone cd at 1x and that took care of the problem for me.

4. petergrif

petergrif Member

What program is best to burn splinter cell Chaos theory?

5. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I always use Alcohol 120 to backup my ps2 dvd based games and burn them at 2.4x

6. petergrif

petergrif Member

Does it work for you all the time? what cd do i write it with a blank CD-r or a blank DVD?

7. petergrif

petergrif Member

Could you please give me a walkthrough on how to use Alcohol 120%?

8. exile78

exile78 Member

thanks for replying Pimpdawg.
    I have been using alcohol 120%, the lowest speed my version allows me is 4x. I'l get my hands on cloneCD and try that today, will post results later. Thanks again.

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

10. petergrif

petergrif Member

Do I need a mod chip or swap magic in order for the copy games to work?

11. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yes, you will

12. petergrif

petergrif Member

How about the gameshark trick? Can I use that?

13. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I know that you can use Gameshark 2 to boot ps1 games, but I'm not sure about ps2 games??

14. exile78

exile78 Member

hiya, i think i should have been more explicit in the first place, the games I am burning are a combination of backups from my originals, and downloaded games. I have had no problem backing up using alcohol - it is the downloaded ones that I have problems with. DVD games - no problem. CD games less than 50% success rate. Tried Nero yesterday and it worked for one of the downloaded games, but not for others. don't get it.

15. smoggie78

smoggie78 Member

just wondering if anyone can help me out with my problem

got a v12 ps2, swap magic 3.6 and cdloader v6

when i've burned worms (PAL) to a normal cdr and try to play it, i get the message "please insert a ps or a ps2 format disc", when i've burned ace combat 2 or 3 (both NTSC) to a normal cdr and try to play it, cdloader says both are an 'invalid disc' but when i burned street fighter ex3 (that's also NTSC) to a normal cdr and tried to play it works fine

i've been burning all 4 games on the lowest setting possible and have used the same media type (datawrite cdr's) via alcohol 120%, but with the 3 game that wont work i've used cd clone and nero as well but will get the same message

(should also point out that ace combat 2 is bin file, ace combat 3 is img file and worms and street fighter ex3 are iso file)

+.just wondering if anyone can help me out with my problem

got a v12 ps2, swap magic 3.6 and cdloader v6

when i've burned worms (PAL) to a normal cdr and try to play it, i get the message "please insert a ps or a ps2 format disc", when i've burned ace combat 2 or 3 (both NTSC) to a normal cdr and try to play it, cdloader says both are an 'invalid disc' but when i burned street fighter ex3 (that's also NTSC) to a normal cdr and tried to play it works fine

i've been burning all 4 games on the lowest setting possible and have used the same media type (datawrite cdr's) via alcohol 120%, but with the 3 game that wont work i've used cd clone and nero as well but will get the same message