1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps2 Clicking and Grinding and freezing

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Octospire, May 3, 2007.

1. Octospire

Octospire Member

My ps2 random makes grinding and clicking noises with no apparent pattern to them. After about 5-60 seconds of of the noises it freezes up either during a loading screen or ingame is this a Disc Read error? or something else the weird thing is in Bully it says that sometimes the disc tray is open and its not. Its driving me absolutely insane. Also I've cleaned the laser with a q-tip and a cleaning solution and a dvd lens cleaner cd. Also sometimes the playstation goes all day without any of these errors so I have no idea.

By the way it is modded with a modbo modchip. Its a V7 or V8 for sure if that matter at all.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

2. Almakra

Almakra Guest

it sounds to me like your laser is misaligned or just aged - this can be a common problem with ps2's and in fact most systems that use laser technology - because they move up and down all the time and have to read huge amounts of data very quickly. this can wear them out considerably.

i had a similar problem with my slim ps2, it got to the point where it would only load games as and when it felt like it.

i found a compatible full laser assembly new on ebay, for i think £15 and fitted it very easily. this solved my problem and it now works a treat! lubbly jubbly

3. Octospire

Octospire Member

I got it fixed the laser arm was out of alignment. Its stopped freezing mostly it takes a lot longer to freeze but its still randomly freezing without making any noise what so ever. Could this have anything to do with the modchip? The games are good quality media and in excellent condition so I have no idea whats going on. And before i got the modchip put in I never had any problems