1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 clicking noise, games freezing up

Discussion in 'PS2' started by BK89, Jan 12, 2005.

1. BK89

BK89 Guest

My PS2 was unplayable for more than a year due to the Disc Read Error not allowing any games to load (its a V4). I almost bought a new one, but since I had not broken the seal of the PS2, I found I was able to send it back to Sony and they replaced the lens, free of charge (even though it was well out of warranty - due to a class action lawsuit over the DRE i think). It worked flawlessly for about a month. Just the other day, clicking and grinding noises started happening, usually after the PS2 warms up (after about 20 mins of use). And once the noises start, games become unplayable - begin to freeze and lag really bad (load times of more than 5 mins with loud noises). What's the deal with Sony? Did they bascially replace my faulty laser with another faulty laser. You would think if they are gonna spend the money to fix a problem, they would do it right. Anybody else try sending there PS2 back to Sony? Any suggestions on what to do next? I had to pay shipping to Sony, do you think it's worth it to send it to them again? I am never buying another Sony product again, this is ridiculous!

2. BK89

BK89 Guest

Come on, no one else has sent their PS2 back to Sony?? Anyone????

3. nwa4ever

nwa4ever Member

I sent mine back about a year and half ago....worked up until about 3 months ago, then started getting DRE problems again. Opened it up, cleaned the laser using a vacuum (with a pen attachment) and its as good as new.

4. jevo25

jevo25 Member

cleaned the laser using a vacuum (with a pen attachment) ? how can you put a pen on a vacuum ,and whats the pen for?

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I would call sony again and complain. Remind them that you may have to give bill gates a call to see about an Xbox2 when they come out. Also if it really only was fixed one month ago I would say they should be paying for the shipping this time. Raise a big enough stink and it may work. If the person refuses to help then ask to speak to their manager, and then see what he/she says. If they cant do it then ask to speak to his supirior. SOoner or later you will be talking to the ceo of sony US, or you will have your ps2 being fixed for free.

6. Rab!

Rab! Member

Hey, the clicking will be the little archimedial screw that spins to move the laser back and forth not being propperly aligned with the bit of plastic that sits on it. (this moves correspondingly, itself attached to the laser)
    the screw thread tries to move the laser, but cant, so it hits the teeth of the plastic grub making the click. The problem will probably be due to a lack of lube on the screwthread or a worn bit of plastic.
    This means the PS2 cant get to the info required on the disc, and in turn will crash!
    Thats what my problem was anyhow.
    call them up indeed and say that theyve now gotta fix that!
    Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  7. BK89

BK89 Guest

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like i will be giving Sony another call.