1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 compatible with DVD+R?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mbresin, Feb 4, 2004.

1. mbresin

mbresin Member

I'm trying to run backups for my ps2 cuz i just got the mod stuff for it. It's not working, and i was wondering if it had to do with DVD- or +. I have DVD+R's, and my drive is a sony dvd burner of some sort(which uses DVD+R i think). Will my version 4 ps2 run DVD+R? Or just DVD-R?

2. cpb353

cpb353 Guest

Not quite answering the question, but I backup DVD movies onto DVD+R and use my PS2 to play them.

I have backed up a few PS2 games in preparation for my PS2 being returned modded (due back shortly) so will le you know when I try them - if noone else replies first.....

3. mbresin

mbresin Member

Im using the Swap Magic cd/dvd, where u put that in first then put in the burned backup of whatever after it boots up. i heard someone say that old version ps2's dont run +R, and was thinking that may be why it doesnt work. i havent gotten anything to run with it yet, not even a CD, so if anyone can help that would be... helpful =d

4. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I can tell you that ver.1-3 PS2's can't read +r&+rw. I have a ver.4 that will read +r, but not +rw. From what I have read some ver.4 can read +r and some can't. All versions should read -r.

5. mbresin

mbresin Member

can my Sony DVD burner drive burn onto -R then or only +R?

6. Dordolio

Dordolio Member

Hi guys. Confirm PS2 does not run +R (but I don't know the PS2 version the backup was tried, Jay33 is more precise in his post). Mbresin: Sony has two versions of DVD burner: DVD -R and DVD -/+ R (in fact I believe they were the first to release the twin standard), so you have to check which model you have, and then if you have -/+ it depends on which media you put in the burner.

7. mbresin

mbresin Member

thanks for the additional info Dord. i didnt see it say anywhere on the sheets that came with it, maybe if i dig up the box it will say if its + or -/+.
    I actually got it to work with my vers 4 ps2 using DVD+R. i got some Verbatim ones that they work on. my earlier onez i was using were Philips. so i guess the moral of the story is... use high quality dvd's.

8. aymin101

aymin101 Member

I thought that the early models of PS2 Mod Chips are compatible with +R and not -R?

I tried burning a game last week using a DVD-R that didn't work.
    The discs i used were Aterra.
    The strange thing is, i used the same discs to burn movies and they worked fine on the PS2.

I've ordered some Ritek -R's so i'll see if they work, if not i'll try a +R one.

9. Jonas7

Jonas7 Member

ive found that +R dont work in my ps2 at all, but -R are no problem!

10. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i dont want to sound like a know it all but you guys are posting in the wrong forum. theres alot of help in the ps2 dicussion forums. One of you said it correctly. V 1-3 play ONLY -R MEDIA.. Some V4'S play both. after v4-10 they should all play both +/-r media.and to the thread starter Mbresin, philips is not a bad media. its a good media in my opinion its manufactured but cmc mag.. some memorex media has been manufacture by this company.. just got a 100pk from office depot for $96 dollars.. no coasters at all.. it all depends on what program you use too, you gotta keep that in mind too.

11. Slofire

Slofire Member

I'm using Ritek +r 8x and they work in my ps2 no problem, just like to state that i don;t know what version i have tho.