1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 controller to USB help...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bigbob638, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Bigbob638

Bigbob638 Member

Hi, I just purchased a PS2 to USB adapter from Amazon - THIS ONE - and I have installed it with all the necessary drivers and stuff, but my computer does not seem to recognize the anolog stick movement (at least my emulators don't). Just so you know, it is registered as a Human Interface Device. I didn't get the same one as pictured on Amazon, so I don't know if I just got some crappy one that dosn't support analog movement or what. But, anyway...

If this can actually work, can someone please let me know how I can configure my controller to work with regular PC games like Battlefield 2 or Halo?

Thanks to anyone who can help! Anything is appreciated...

2. jared2112

jared2112 Member

My USB adapter works with the analog movement on my PS2 controller. But if you are using an old PSX/PS1 controller on the USB adapter, that might be you're problem. My USB adapter doesn't work with my Old PSOne controller either, all of the normal buttons do but the analog ones do not. Hopefully this information will solve your issue.

And as for configuring the controller for games, if you're computer recognizes the controller it should let you put in you're own key configurations. But if they require an analog type controller, a newer more technologically advanced one would be you're best option.

3. Bigbob638

Bigbob638 Member

No, unfortunately I am using the original PS2 DualShock Controller - the one that originally came with my PS2.

I'm thinking my adapter is crap, so I might just get a Super DualBox Pro or something.This one on Ebay looks great for a good price. It says the controller's buttons can all be re-mapped as needed, with what seems like a program it comes with. But you said your computer can do that for you? How would I be able to do that? Can you set each of the controller's buttons to be a certain key on the keyboard or what?

If you have a suggestion on a good adapter then please let me know also.

Thanks for your help...

4. jared2112

jared2112 Member

I guess I should have read the title of the thread before I posted, my bad.

The USB adapter that I use is the SuperJoybox one, I think it's been around the market for like 4 or 5 years, but I'm not completely sure since my friend gave to me but that was only at least 3 years ago. But the one that you found on Ebay looks like a good one, I'd buy that.

Usually to set the buttons to be a certain binding, you just go to the place where you normally would change the button configurations and you just press the button on the controller to set it to the new binding, which would be the button you just pressed on the controller.
    You can use the controller to take place of the keyboard, and you can rearrange the buttons in any way you want. That way you can find the most effective way of using you're gamepad, since you can find the most comfortable way of playing the game with you're gamepad.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  5. Bigbob638

Bigbob638 Member

Alright, cool.

But when you said this...

...where did you mean to go to set these configurations. I know I can do it right in an emulator program, but I don't know how I could do it to play a real PC game or something. If you don't mind, could you just explain what you did?

6. jared2112

jared2112 Member

To use the controller in a PC game, like GTA San Andreas you just go to controller settings and you select Joypad (or keyboard/mouse, it will still work), and then select on foot/in vehicle or whatever and then you just press the button on the gamepad that you want to use for you're new action after highlighting and clicking on it with the mouse.

In the picture you can see the 3 question marks that appear to the far right of the highlighted band, those appear after you click on the action with the mouse and when those question marks are visible you can press any button on the gamepad and it will be assigned for that action (You can see my current gamepad bindings because the say "Joy1, Joy5" etc..).

The directional buttons are usually already working the way they are supposed to, and you usually don't need to set those within the game but some games you might need to, I haven't ran across any that needed the directional buttons set but you do have to set the analog directional buttons sometimes (that would be "Joy11 and Joy12" in the image.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  7. Bigbob638

Bigbob638 Member

OOhhhhhhhhhh......now I understand.

Thanks for all your help.

I'll try all this stuff once I get that new adapter!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007