1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 copied dvdr playback

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by swarmpack, Oct 16, 2004.

1. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

i have a ps2 and was wonering if it could play copyied dvd thanks.

2. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

also if possible what burner should i get.

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

Yeah your PS2 can play burned DVD movies that are DVD+R's (not DVD-R's). If you want to get a burner remember to get one that is DVD+R format, you can get one that is dual format which is always better. For me I just brought a MAD DOG 8X Dual Format burner for $50 at Officemax with rebates, that is going great for me. I have read some people switched from Sony's to these and they think it is much better. As for DVD media, you'll find that most people in this forum prefer Ritek G04's or G05's for DVD backups. I don't know if they will work so well with PS2. Memorex works great, but you never know what you'll get when you buy them in a 50 spindle. Here's a site that will help: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

ps2's can play dvd-r disks i have over 70 copied dvds(all dvd-r) and they all work

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  5. kinza

kinza Regular member

Well, I know the older PS2's really suck at playing DVD's because I have one. But I just tried playing a few DVD-R's and they don't work and I tried +R's and they do.

6. oquela

oquela Member

It depends; some can play plus and/or minus DVD. it has to do with the drive mechanism, and Sony has changed PS2 several times (version 1, 2, etc.) for its markets around the world. I dont think that a certain PS2 version will definitely play a certain type of DVD. Test yours to see what your particular machine will play. Ive heard some early version 5's and 6's will play +R disks. I've also heard that these same versions will not play +R DVDs. These contradictory statements may both be true.

7. oquela

oquela Member

As for media, Ritek G04/05 are both great for both movies/PS2 backups (although PS2 should be burned at 2x regardless of how fast the DVD burner is) to be played on PS2.

You may want to buy a Pioneer drive. I've had 3 over the last couple of years, and no problems whatsoever. You may want to buy a Dual Layer +/- drive, as you can even use this to backup those rare dvd-9 ps2 games

8. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

thanks how do i figure out what version my ps2 is also i cant offer any info because i still havent bought my burner or dont own a burnt dvd why im only 16.sucks huh