1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 copy to hard drive

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ecosse, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ecosse

ecosse Member

I have USBExtreme and I have a hard drive to play my PS2 games. I downloaded games and used winrar to get a .ISO file. But the .ISO file is in winrar format and I am using DVD Decrypter to copy the game to a disc. Does anyone know how to copy the game directly to the hard drive? Please help!!

2. ecosse

ecosse Member

Can someone please reply to my post? Its like the 4th time I'm posting!! Please! I really need some help!!

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Use winrar to extract the .iso image.
    (Select the .rar file or the .001 file)

I dont use a HDD i use swap magic,
    heres how i copy my backups

Already having the .iso once its extracted,
    START AT STEP THREE.
    (if you dont have an .mds file thats okay select the .iso then)

Use Quality Media I use
    Verbatim dvd+r

***** BURN AT NO MORE THAN 2X****** <-----------(IMPORTANT)
    TURN OFF ANY BACKGROUND APPLICATIONS

1. Take the ps2 game put it in the dvd rom or dvd burner, your choice.

2. open the dvd decryptor program then go to to tool bar and hit MODE>ISO>READ. Then choose the correct dvd drive that the game is in as the "source". Also choose where you want the files to be stored on the pc hdd. THEN CLICK DECRYPT , or the huge graphical picture at the bottom of the program which makes it run. The game is now copying to your HDD. Take the game out when finished (it might take a while).

3. Go to the same tab in dvd decryptor and choose MODE>ISO>WRITE. This will then let you look for the files you just created in step 2. Select the file that you just created. (There is only 2 files creadted so pick the .mds) (The smaller file)Then click WRITE, make sure there is blank DVD in the drive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  4. ecosse

ecosse Member

So i download the game, but I dont want to copy it to a disc. That takes too long and it uses too much space. I want to know whether there is any way of copying the .ISO file directly to the hard drive instead of first copying it to the disc. the .ISO file is unzipped with winrar in my folder.

5. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

I think the only way at the moment to due it is by copying for disc to hard drive!

6. ecosse

ecosse Member

ok, so i tried to do it the cd way. everything works fine, like it copies fine and all except when i connect the hard drive to the ps2 and start the game, a blank screen comes up and nothing happens. i dont know why! can anyone tell me??

7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

PS2NFO.COM PS2 HDD FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTiONS:
    . 1) What do I need to play PS2 games from an internal Hard Disk Drive?
    You will need three things: the HD Advance software, an official Sony PS2 Network Adaptor, and a suitable internal Hard Disk Drive. Either type of Network Adaptor (Ethernet only, or Ethernet and Modem) can be used as pictured below... however, if you haven't purchased one yet we recommend getting an Ethernet & Modem.

2) What is considered to be a suitable Hard Disk Drive to use?

Serial-ATA Hard Disk Drives do NOT work with the HD Advance so you have two options here- the official Sony Hard Disk Drive, or a standard IDE Hard Disk Drive with a capacity of AT LEAST 40GB. If you use a standard IDE drive, you will need to make sure that it actually fits into your Network Adapter. There are a few known compatibility issues with some non-Sony Hard Disk Drives such as some modern Segate drives. These cause problems when used in conjunction with older models of the official Sony PS2 Network
    Adapter.

NOTE: If HD Advance says that there isn't a Hard Disk Drive installed, or it freezes at the splash screen for you, then it is due to this conflict. In order to resolve this you will either need to purchase a new Hard Disk Drive or newer model PS2 Network Adapter.

Both a Sony and a standard IDE hard disk drive are shown below. We recommend using a Maxtor non-Sony HDD ranging in size from between 40GB to 120GB. It's NOT currently recommended to get a non-Sony Hard Disc Drive larger than 120GB simply because the official PS2 Network Adaptor only supports drives up to 137GB total. Maxtor drives fit perfectly with the official PS2 Network Adaptor. ;)

3) Why doesn't the PS2 Network Adaptor support 137+ GB drives?

It's not possible to actually add code to the ATAD IRX driver which is what would be needed to enable 48-bit LBA support. Also, 48-bit support would cause conflicts related to the APA partition system, so the APA driver would most likely need to be patched too. The current APA driver is 32-bit which means up to 2 TeraByte can be addressed by the driver. However, since the current ATAD driver only reports a 28-bit value to APA (actually it can report a 32-bit value, but it requires a new method of querying the HDD), so APA will just use the value given by ATAD which starts at 0x9ce80 and ends at 0x9fcbf.

4) How do I connect/install my Hard Disk Drive to my PS2?

If you have an official Sony Hard Disk Drive, then please install it according to the directions in its manual. If you will be using a standard IDE Hard Disk Drive, then please install it according to the directions below.

The first step is to make sure that the Hard Disk Drive you intend to connect to your PS2 will actually fit into your PS2 Network Adapter. Check that the IDE and power ports on your Hard Disk Drive properly align with the IDE and power connectors on your Network Adapter as shown in the picture directly below.

The next step is to configure the jumper setting on the Hard Disk Drive so that it is set to MASTER. To find the correct jumper settings for your Hard Disk Drive, either check the label on top of the HDD, or consult your reference manual. Now, attach the Hard Disk Drive to the Network Adapter by lining up the IDE and power connectors and pressing firmly, as shown in the picture directly below.

Carefully slide the Hard Disk Drive into the PS2 expansion bay now,
    while making sure the HDD stays plugged into the Network Adaptor.

Finally, push until the Network Adapter is connected to the back of
    your PS2, and then screw in the screws on the back of the Network
    Adapter to secure the Hard Disk Drive and Network Adapter in place.

Congratulations, you have successfully connected a Hard Disk Drive
    to your PS2 console! Be sure to check out our site's HD Advance
    page for the most up-to-date compatability list of PS2 games. Enjoy

8. ecosse

ecosse Member

well i tried all that. but that is not where the problem lies. USBExtreme works fine and it even shows the names of the games that i installed. but once i click on the games, nothing happens. The hard drive seems to be busy for a couple of seconds and then there is just a blank screen and the game does not start.

9. damian04

damian04 Member

have you tried usin winhiip works great

10. ecosse

ecosse Member

no, what is it and what does it do??

11. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

After doing some reading on this what seems to be great some i saw that you can hook it up to ya pc and copy ps2 images on the the formated ps2 hdd, it all seems a bit simple really i just hope its not to good to be turn but anyway it does really seem great.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005