1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 delay

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ScottyM21, May 20, 2007.

1. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

hey
    I have my ps2 attached to my computer through a tv tuner (compsite) and there is about a half second delay. If it matters my screen is a 22" (1440x900px) samsung syncMaster 940bw. I have tryed a variety of programs and there is a difference in the delay. Currently im using JRiver Media Center 12.0 because it has the shortest delay (1/2 second) but thats still to long a delay for almost all games. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would shorten the delay?
    Thank you very much :)

2. steimy

steimy Active member

questions
    1. why are you running the PS2 through your PC?
    2. Why are you using programs to run it instead of getting either a converter box or component switcher to just switch what is being displayed on the screen between the PS2 and PC?
    3. if you hook it up directly to the monitor with composite cables, and the PC is using another input like the DVI then you should not need any programs, you should just have some way for the monitor to switch which input it is displaying. Unless the monitor is trying to upconvert the signal i see no reason why you should be getting any delay. People use PC monitors all the time for playing PS2.

3. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

ok im using my computer becuase i dont really have anywhere else i can use it easily. and for questions two and three i have found something that will work but it will cost me 100$ so i was wondering if there was a program out there that would work just as good.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

sol, are you telling me that your monitor has all those video inputs, but no way to switch between them?
    No program should be needed to run a PS2 into your monitor. You should be able to hook it up, then switch between the inputs. Just like a TV screen that is set up with multiple inputs. It should have a button or setting to be able to display each input onto the screen.

5. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

ok let me try to say this again

1) right now i have it hooked into my tv tuner card but there is a
    half second delay. this delay changes with different programs but 1/2 second is the shortes i could find. so i was wondering if there was a program with a shorter delay than that.

2) the second way to hook it up would be through my monitor which shouldn't have a delay, but the only way to hook it up would be through the rgb input. so i would need to find a way to convert the rgb to female rca, but i am not able to find an adapter.

i hope that makes it a bit clearer :)

6. steimy

steimy Active member

I understand what your saying. But if you want to play with no delay at all then hooking strait to the monitor is the way you should do it. Or buy a monitotor that has composite inputs (or even better component cable inputs) and is made to be a multimedia monitor. With a converter box, especially if you get one that will upconvert (scale) it will give you much better results and a much better picture.

7. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

ok i think thats the way id preffer to go then, but i just got a new monitor about 3 months ago. and i cant find a converter that converts rbg to the female rca.
    so i was wondering if you knew of such a converter?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Well, hopefully you will have better luck finding one then i did. I searched for a while and looked at many converters and am having a real problem finding one that has an composite input, that converts and outputs as RBG. I even looked for a cable that could just allow you to have composite in and RBG out without any conversion and could not find that either.

Another though i had. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of your TV Tuner card to see if they may have any idea as to why the card is causing the delay. Or may have any idea's on how to fix that? Just before you go out spending more money.

The best option of course is just having a screen with the correct inputs for a PS2 (either composite-stock cables, or component-upgrade cables with a better picture quality)

you also may want to ask this question in the PC section just in case. See if anyone knows of something that can convert composite to RBG. Since that part of it is really not PS2 related but more PC/Video related.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  9. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

that would of course mean that you would first have to go out and buy the PS2 component cables first, And make sure your PC is not already using the VGA slot, which most do.
    It is a nice guide but for what it costs for the component cable, CAT5 and other parts you could buy one for less. They are only about $17 already made.

if you had component cables instead of composite then Team Xtender also makes a converter box to go from component to VGA which has a switch to flip the screen to either your console or your PC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  11. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

yea both are really close exept the first one goes from your computer to something else not to the computer from somthing else(ps2.) and the second one is just high picture quality and no sound and its not composite so it wont work. and why there is a delay its simply because it is acting like I am watching tv and it is compressing and decompressing the video. Im using a hauppaugh tv tunner and what should work is some special software that can bypass the compression. That should stop the delay but its not easy to find any lol. sorry this is such a wierd question

12. steimy

steimy Active member

So, Did the TV tuner come with software for changing the settings?
    Like something that would allow you to turn off the compression, or is that just built in? I am not up on TV Tuner cards as i have not owned any.

13. ScottyM21

ScottyM21 Member

nope no software a bought it becuase i already had the new software that came with vista (wen i upgraded). The old tv tunner i used (also my video card) ati all-in-wonder divers were not updated for it so im using a hauppage tv tunner and the vista tv software so i didnt install the disk that came with the tunner.