1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 disc read error

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by frankyh14, Jan 20, 2007.

1. frankyh14

frankyh14 Member

everytime i play it says disc read error...how can i fix that

2. MSAA9993

MSAA9993 Regular member

More information...

3. frankyh14

frankyh14 Member

ok when i start the ps2 i put the disc in.....then it takes a long time for the ps2 to read the disc......then it says disc read error pops up

4. vicious10

vicious10 Member

you could try to clean the laser either by a cd lens cleaner or opening it and pulling the top off the laser reader and applying some rubbing alcohol to a q-tip and gently rubbing it and then rubbing off any excess with the dry end.

5. allen3154

allen3154 Member

Okay, I;m not an expert, but I believe that that is a software problem with the ps2 that is a problem with a lot of them. I have had 2 that both started doing that and quit working. I haven't used them, but I can tell you that ebay has downloads or ordered cd's that are supposed to repair almost all disc errors. If you search it on ebay, tons of them come up.

6. snowbhord

snowbhord Member

yeah that happened to me often but i did what vicious10 said and cleaned the laser with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. it works like a charm now.

7. frankyh14

frankyh14 Member

yeah that happened to the two of mine but one my brother broke trying to clean it...and the other one ive tried but i doesnt wanna work im gonna have to try the cleaner then

8. dreamzboy

dreamzboy Regular member

What version is it? Different version has different problem.

If you've tried cleaning it with alcohol and that doesn't work, don't even bother trying the "cleaner cd." You'll waste more money and time.

Until you give us the version of your ps2 starting with SCPH#, we can poke around in the dark all day long and it wouldn't solve anything.

9. gunnerx45

gunnerx45 Member

Try cleaning the lens or align it. Happens to me sometimes and thats my first corrective action.

10. frankyh14

frankyh14 Member

how do i align it

11. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If you clean the laser and it still gives you problems.Then you can use the white cogwheel method,it adjust the height of the laser and can sometimes slip off track.When you open up your PS2 system there is a white hexagon shape right above the laser.The only way to get to it is by opening up the PS2 and taking the actual tray off.You can use a alan wrench to turn the white wheel.Make sure you turn counter clockwise,and it might take numerous attempts.In order for it to work perfect you will need originals of a dvd movie,ps2 game(dvd and cd),etc...Try out numerous discs to see if they work,once you get it set just right put it all together again and it should work right again.If it doesn't work then your laser is probably dead.I hope I helped you out a little bit,but the other method is using a oscilloscope.They are real expensive and you probably won't find one cheap so I would recommend this method.