1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 doesn't even power on

Discussion in 'PS2' started by supro, Apr 28, 2005.

1. supro

supro Member

My PS2 doesn't even turn on now. There are no lights (eject or power button) and the fan doesn't work either. I opened it up and I could see that there is 12 volts or something being provided from the power supply (which is inside the PS2) to the main board (the thing that has 4 pins sticking out of it so you can connect the power supply to it). Also the fan is connected to the main board and it doesn't work either.
    Does anyone know how to fix it, please?

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Do you have a modcip in it? You may just need a new ps2 psu.

3. supro

supro Member

No, I used to have it but then I removed and started using Swap Disks. I have been using them for a few months now.

NEW: I found that there is some voltage at the pins that connect to the ribon cable which is from from reset/eject button. I can't test the voltage going to the fan because the little hole with 2 sticks coming out is too small.

4. supro

supro Member

PS: How do I disconnect the whole eject/reset mechanism? I wanna see the ribon cable is connected fine on that end but I can't see it. The buttons won't up out either.

5. supro

supro Member

One more thing: I just checked the ribon cable and there is a little hole (about 1/2 cm diameter) right where the white tape is (almost center of the ribon cable). Is it suppose to be there? I high doubte it...

6. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Sounds like you found your problem.

7. supro

supro Member

I hope. Now the only problem is trying to find the connector on the reset/eject button side. I Have searched the forum but didn't find any useful instrutions.
    How would I unscrew the whole eject/reset button package so I can disconnect the current cable and connect the new one to it?

8. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

9. supro

supro Member

Thanks.
    Actually I just took the whole mechanism off and disconnected the cable. Now I just have to order a new ribbon cable...

10. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

sound like you might have screwed the screw right through the ribbon, I almost did that.