1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 doesn't match known versions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by shindo, Aug 22, 2003.

1. shindo

shindo Member

I have a PS2 which I've owned for about 2 years now, and I just purchased a messiah 2 pro. I had thought that the unit was a version 1, because the serial number starts with "U1" and the date code is "0D", but my board has the bios chip located where it is supposed to be for a version 2 chip.

Also, the instructions for disassembly from the messiah instruction .pdf do not match my unit. I have the board removed from most of the unit, but on the backside I cannot detach what looks like a heatsink and another board. It appears that this second board is soldered to the mainboard, so I can't get to the SCEx and CLK points. I don't have a camera, but if nobody can help me I can maybe borrow one this weekend.

The solder points are located just to the right of the large chip between the bios and CD/DVD controller chips. Next to these solder points are two plastic "claws" that come through holes and attach to the bottom side of the second board as well. They are the types of connectors that you can squeeze together and push through a hole, but since the board is also soldered, it does no good.

I hope I'm making sense with all of this, I've done a few xbox modifications, but am new to the PS2 modding. I did a few searches, but didn't find anything like this mentioned.

Thanks in advance...

2. shindo

shindo Member

Is anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?