1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Dolby Digital Output Problem!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by brad1102, Apr 15, 2004.

1. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Can someone please offer some advice.

I have a v9 PS2 modded with a Magic V 50K connected to an audio reciever/digital decoder via an Optical cable.

The reciever sees the optical connection from the PS2, but doesn't detect the Digital signal from it.

I have tried original movies and games - with no luck. Is there a reason for this?

BTW, I have disabled the Magic V and enabled Optical output in the PS2 config settings.

Thanks for the feedback!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]
    NOW PLAYING[/bold]
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2004
  2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

my ps2 connected to my reciever... at 1st it says its "linear pcm" when i play movies it changed to dolby some movies in DTS... its better to put the digital in.... in auto mode.... that way you get it auto... if it dts... dolby... or surround.. btw my ps2 conncted over the optic in n my recier it uses the cd digital to play all of it...

3. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Yeah Cyprien, I have my receiver on Auto, but when I play an audio source with Dolby Digital from my PS2, my reciever only sees it at Linear PCM, whereas it should be recognized at Dolby/DTS.

The only thing that I have made to work is SSX3 so far, which has a optional DTS 5.1 output.

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

you should set the ingame audio to the mode you want.. and use the 5.1 speakers connected to the reciever.. you can also do the prologic II manualy... either you can use the dsp modes one of them creates all ch stereo... or use the ingame audio mode OR use the prologic.. remmber to set the pro logic into the music mode not movie... pro logic is what used in most if not all games today...

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Ok thanks - I've learned what I was after.

I guess what this all come down to is how disappointing it is that gaming productions spend all their budget on graphics and marketing and tend to overlook encoding their audio with 5.1 Dolby or DTS!

Kind of interesting as you'd have a hard time finding new DVD movies that aren't 5.1 encoded.

Cheers!

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well i beg the differ.... today not all the people have digital recievers... most of people connect the ps2 to the tv itself... the tv dont have 5.1 it only has the stereo and the mono... some tvs have the sound modes.. and they change the sounds but still 2.0... now the point im going to is encoding a game sounds in 5.1 is hard... you need to pay loads of cash to dolby to do it for you... and use the rights from them to use the dolby in the game... it also takes quite a while to do so... and the dts in games makes the game lag... a good exsample of this is gta vice city... when it uses the dts sound the framerate degrates so low it lags and creats weird things on the screen... holes in the ground building apearing late and so on.. dts probaly the most adored sound sytem having 5.1 in digital optic lines... but the only problem it has thats the decoding of it takes power... and that power kill the use of the ps2.. it kidna overloads the ps2 while playing the game... so in matter to keep everything in shape they encode only few sounds and the music of the game so it wont lag... a good thing is SSX3 a bad thing is GTA vice city... now some games support 5.1 and some dont... it would be a waste to make a game in only 5.1 and know that 50% of people who will buy the game will not hear the full sound of the game.. so todays standarts is the mono and stereo for most of games... and some games have the dolby surround sound.. well thats about everything that had to be said about this..