1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 dvd drive remote mounting

Discussion in 'PS2' started by peterbob, Jan 27, 2005.

1. peterbob

peterbob Guest

I am attemting to remote mount my dvd drive for my ver 9 modded ps2(neo12). My problem is extending the ribbons for this procedure . I know i need to keep the ohms right so an extension with extra factory ribbons are limited to 9" which is not enough . I talked with a guy and was told i could patch in a bridge on those ribbons if i used wires w/ less resistance . ie: cutting the ribbons and splicing in the propper resisting wire. it would be nice to find ribbons of enough lengh and already at a lower resistance . any one with ideas would be very helpfull. I was thinkingg there might be something along these lines found in PC parts but not that familier w PC s .

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

just run a couple of 1 AWG wires. They are big and hard to work with, but you could mount that DVD drive at the neighbors house with no problems then.

Just a question though, why exactly do you need the dvd drive mounted somewhere other than in the PS2? And would it not be esier to just put the PS2 where you need the DVD drive to be at?

Just wonder the logic here. I am hoping it has nothing to do with your controller cord being too short.

3. peterbob

peterbob Guest

Thank you stinky 1 for the reply. I built a custom yukon converted 2 denali with a mobile video system in it . The ps2 is getting re mounted inside my custom center console . controller ports and dvd unit are going just above my head unit . Just so happened the dvd drawer and switch set from my ver 9 console fit perfectly where my factory tape deck was . I was going to mount the switchs and guages for my airbag system in that space but durring my install of the chip i was taking my torn appart ps2 to a bussiness partner for problem w install. well i was lookin at the dvd drive unit and said lets see if it fits . well it does and looks soooo trick , i got to do it!!!

4. peterbob

peterbob Guest

oh i forgot , the only prob i see with your solution your talking about at least 25-30 wires i was hoping for a ribbon like solution or at least a custom harrness . Plug n Play would be great . but dont get me wrong i appreciate your input . I did talk to one of my electral suppliers today about this and have someone to contact on monday . my guy told me this guy should be able to get me a solution to this. but we'll see. would still appreciate any input , because i trust the expertise of ps2 people over a wire expert.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

in that case, I think the resistance of the wire is really negligable. You can measure the resistance of the regular ribbon, then just look at a standard "resistance per foot" of normal wires. Figure out how far you want to run it, then devide that by the resistance and then cross refferance that with the wire. Find the one that is slightly LESS resistance per foot than what you need. Then you know exactly what you need. But really you are going to find that if you are dealing in less than 2 feet (Which I think you are) then you can grab a bunch of 22 awg, or even 18 awg (Overkill in my mind) and run it with that. This would allow you to solder them to a new connector on each end.

Hope that helps.

6. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

BTW, I am an electrician by trade and work with wires and power a lot. I am more of a "wire expert" than the guy at subway being a "sandwhich artist"

I know on the net there are detailed lists of how much resistance per foot there is on different size wires. So you really need to just measure what the stock harness is and go from there.

7. peterbob

peterbob Guest

thank you stinky for the quick reply , i am amazed . dude thats still alot of work . a lot of individual wires . I am still hoping for a plug n play option. just swap out the factory ribbons with the propper resistance and length of the same type or at least the same conection the on one end. i have planned on testing the resistance on the factory parts by the way , but really thank you though . You seem like the one that should be giving me advice on this. to be talking with someone with knowledge of ps2's and electricity is exactly what i need. also do you think there might be something in personal computer supplies like what i m looking for? after all our ps2's are very similar to PCs right.

8. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive any ribbon cable you find in the PS2 is custom made for the PS2. Your best bet will be to just solder new wires right onto the PS2 connections and throw the ribbbon away. You will NOT find a ready made ribbon cable for the DVD drive that can plug right in AND be long enough to suit your needs. There are replacement cable that can be bought, but they are all the same size as whats in there now.

So either way you WILL be doing custom work to make this happen. There really is NOT that many wires though. You can get a round wire set that has 10 wires in it at 22 AWG. I havnt looked at the exact wire count, but I would doubt you should need any more than 20 wires from the dvd drive to the ps2 unit. In fact I think there is less than 10.

9. peterbob

peterbob Guest

ohhhh . i just got an idea. what about old style printer like cable ? its flat has probably enough wires to be my harness for the the entire move. i coud just splice on the propper connector ends to one end and seperate the cable into sections appropriatly for the other end . then solder directly to the places needed. what ya think?

10. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

OK, looking at this cable

[​IMG]

I think it is for sure more than 10 wires, but not more than 25 or so. SO you may need 2 sets of a 5 or 6 pair cable. But it is still doable. And with the size of the wires that would be in there you would be MORE than safe with a 22 AWG wire siez per strand.

11. peterbob

peterbob Guest

checked wire count : laser /eye(alone) - 25 : motor for eye 4 : drive motor - 13 : power reset - 13 or 14(2small2count) : drawer slide board - 5

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2005
  12. peterbob

peterbob Guest

back to my idea i was thinking i could connect the factory ribbons to the end that needs to go to the slide connectors . and i believe these flat cables im talking about are close to the wire specifications you r talking about could investigate more to find out . thses cables im refering to might not be printer cable , might be like pc board ribbon dont know. just remember seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2005
  13. peterbob

peterbob Guest

oh ya forgot something , the controller and memmory card ribbon has a whole lotta wires (dont want to count) this item is going in a different place than the dvd unit

14. peterbob

peterbob Guest

thank you again stinky_1 if you have more info on this subject just post and ill check it . but you havent told me what you think of my idea yet.again thank you.

15. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

the printer ribbon? Its deff a good idea. And worth a shot. I like it better than my idea actually.

16. peterbob

peterbob Guest

ill try it this weekend , maybe . going to help my mother this sat. I just replaced her computer and i think i might be able to find what i need there. thnx again . can you tell me how to post a link to picks i ll show you how the dvd unit looks set in place.

17. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you need to have the pic hosted online somewhere. try cardomain or something like that. Then look right above your reply window when replying and it shows HTML coding to post a pic up.

18. peterbob

peterbob Guest

Well im at my mother's house now and i'm planing on taking what i need from here . My cousin has a car site i could post there then leave the http/ ... right?

19. peterbob

peterbob Guest

Well we'll have to wait , I think my neo12 chip fried my ver9 board. That is the ps2 used for this install. Any one with help fixing ps2's please . If you've read this far you allready know why this is so important to me.