1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 DVD issues? Media related?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by convolute, Jan 4, 2005.

1. convolute

convolute Regular member

I have a v7 PS2 and up until a couple of months ago, I have had no problem backing up games with DVD-Rs. Now I have significant issues trying to read the backups, let alone play them. I use SMDs, DVD-Rs.

I have used Princo discs which have been no problem, but the latest batch of discs don't seem to work? They either come up green/blue border with the SMDs slowly if at all, and when the game does load, it is very choppy and takes forever to load. I use alcohol as my primary program to burn.

I have also recently used Ritek/Ridata Discs, which were semi-successful. I used a 25 spindle of ridata 4x -r perfectly, but i got a recent spindle of 50 princo which worked sporatically. I just got a 50 spindle of ridata 8x -r and that too is having issues loading.

I'm not sure if the problem is my ps2, burner, or the media?... My old ps2 backups with ridata and princo work, but my recent ones do not.

Any ideas?

2. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

Do you still have a V7 Ps2? If so try TDK +R media I have the ones that are rated for 4x and work flawlessly, also try memorex +R.

3. convolute

convolute Regular member

My burner is only DVD-R compatible.... Toshiba SD-R5112...

4. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

Use the search for Ps2 compatible - media you should find something.

5. convolute

convolute Regular member

That's the thing, I would like to see if other people have ideas as to what the problem may be, as it may not be media related? I am using the same brands that i have used in the past which work fine, but the new burns do not work.

6. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Ur burnt media has now affected the laser... what you need to do is fine tune the laser's power. do a google search for "ps2 laser calibration"

7. convolute

convolute Regular member

Even if my old burns work fine and the new ones don't?

8. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Oh well then... hmmm... Say your burning at the slowest speed possible different media lets u burn at different minimum speeds... maybe ur old ones were burned allittle slower and that allows a better read

9. convolute

convolute Regular member

i always burn at 1x... and it's the same media brands. And actually my ridata 4x -R for some reason could only burn at 2x which still worked at the time. My current 8x -R at 1x don't work well at all... loading issues ...