1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 DVD-R Boot Probs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ozy070, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Ozy070

Ozy070 Member

OK, sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but I couldn't find a definitive answer to this. I just got an Iomega DVD burner, and I want to make DVD backups. I have backed up Simpsons Hit and Run and SSX3 using DVD Decrypter. I have tried booting both with the GS2 v2 using a double swap as described in the sticky post. No go. I have a PS2 ver 1 and no mod chip. I can play DVD and CD originals both movies and games, DVD movie backups, and PS2 CD backups(with a single swap). However, when I try to boot DVD backups with the GS2 method the disc will spin a little and then completely stop, and the GS2 screen still shows. I have ordered the Swap Magic disc set. Will the Swap Magic discs work better? Do I need a mod chip also?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

yes swap magic will boot your ps2 cd and dvd game backups and no you dont need a mod chip as well just a method of opening the ps2 cd tray without it knowing about it (eg flip lid/slide card).

3. Ozy070

Ozy070 Member

OK cool. So you think the GS2 swap just isn't working for the DVD backups? I have tried the new code method by swapping the DVD original with a backup when the Gameshark is updating, and I have tried the Armored Core 2 code method where it stops the DVD original disc because of the "too many codes" thing and I make the swap that way. Neither works for me. I guess I'll just have to wait till my SM discs get here. Would be cool if I could get it to work now though. Anyone have luck with the GS2 swap and DVD backups?

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

just one further question are you using dvd+r or dvd-r discs for your ps2 game backups

5. Ozy070

Ozy070 Member

Memorex dvd-r at the moment

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

should be fine been playing simpsons hit&run backup on my v7 with swap magic2 fun game

7. Ozy070

Ozy070 Member

well, I'll just keep these guys and when my swap magic discs get here, I'll give it another go. Hopefully that's all it will take. Just seems like the GS2 method should work, even though it is a pain. So maybe it's something with my burns. Can't imagine what though. DVD Decrypter is pretty simple, and DVD-R movies work fine too. We'll see.

Yhanks

8. Dizturbed

Dizturbed Guest

instead of buying swap magic you could have burned cdloader to a cdr. more swappin but saving money.

9. pivets

pivets Member

I am having the same problem with Simpsons Hit & Run.
    I use the SM2 with a slide card, a v3 PS2, and DVD+R media. I have 2 copies that I used Nero to make (one +R, one +RW) and 1 that I made using DVD Decrypter. I don't think RW media works well because when I make the swap it just sounds like the disk is skipping. The two +R versions just bring up a pink/red background and stay on the insert disk screen.
    Using NTSC versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks

10. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

ps2 version 1-3 dont support +r format discs only -r discs

11. pivets

pivets Member

Then I must have a different version because I have used DVD+R successfully in the past. One site told me it was a version 3. (USA SCPH 30001 Version 3 = Serial Number begins with U1 Date Code 1A)

12. Ozy070

Ozy070 Member

My backup of Simpson H&R did work once I used the Swap Magic discs. +RW and -RW do not work in my PS2 as far as I can tell. Have not tried +R.

13. pivets

pivets Member

Does anyone know what a green screen means with the swap disks?