1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 DVD+RW Movie Problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by John1800, Jan 15, 2007.

1. John1800

John1800 Member

I just bought a new v13 ps2. I tried watching a movie from an imation dvd+rw and it didn't work. The movie played at first, but then it started skipping. I took it out to see if their were any scratches on the disc and it was clean. I put the disc back in the ps2 and it wouldn't even recognize the disc anymore.

I then decided to try the disc on my Sony dvd player. It worked perfectly fine.

Does the PS2 have problems with DVD+RWs? Should I be using DVD-RW? Could it be the brand of my disc?

I could really use some recommendations on watching dvd rw movies on my ps2. Thanks.

2. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

well...i have the same problem... i have the slim ps2 and im using the DVD+R (VERBATIM brand) and they have a purpleish bottom... i tried putting it on my ps2...didnt work.. then i put it in my dvd player and it worked... so i dont know wut to say to ya ;)

3. sinners

sinners Regular member

Ps2's in general don't like +/-RW media in general. They put stress on the laser. In my opinion, don't use +/-RW and just stick with +/-R.

Sometimes RW will work and sometimes they don't, but if playing RW media; stick with a DVD player.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

It is just that movie playback on a PS2 is somewhat bad.
    The slim models seem to have this problem more than the older models.
    Imation is not a great choice of media and the RW discs may not work great either. But even when i use to back them up myself and use top quality media i ran into the same problems with my slimline now and then. I finally just went out and bought a stand alone DVD player.
    the only suggestion i have is to possible get a hold of a PS2 media player like SMS and try that to see if the playback will improve.
    Other than that i would save your PS2's laser life for games and play your movies on a DVD player.