1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 .ELF exploit questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by christenm, Jan 14, 2007.

1. christenm

christenm Member

Hey guys, this week I'm planning on buying an Action Replay or Codebreaker to softmod my PS2 with, I have a couple of questions first though, and I have done my research.

1. Is it n00b friendly?
    2. Does the cogswap backup loader allow support for DVD back up games?
    3. If I make a mistake I do not catch, is there a chance of damaging my console?

Thanks in advance I'm a bit of a newbie to the whole console mod scene. :)

2. christenm

christenm Member

Sorry to double post but I forgot to ask a question:
    Does the cogswap loader require any kind of swap trick in order to boot the game?

3. ssj4champ

ssj4champ Member

hi

1.Action Replay is very easy to use and it has menus 4 wat u want to do eg. memory manager, etc. I'm not sure about Codebreaker cause i haven't really used it.

2.Yes, it can boot dvd and cd backups.

3. If u use a slide card and u dont do it properly then u might damage the laser...(i recommend using fliptop if u have slimline) because it cant damage ur laser therefore its more safe lol...

4.Cogswap Backup loader is very easy to use.. u boot it,insert original cd or dvd(depending on the game u want to boot) press O and then u use a swap method (slide card,fliptop,etc.) insert ur backup and press X and it boots.

4. christenm

christenm Member

Thank you for your help :)

So in other words theres no way I can just run the .elf, put in the burnt disc and play the game?

5. ssj4champ

ssj4champ Member

no

i dont think that u can do this because u need the TOC from an original disc.

its the same as if you would just put in a backup from the beginning and it comes up with "Insert ps2 format disc..."

So u need any original ps2 game
    dvd: if u wanna boot dvd game
    cd: if u wanna boot cd game

ssj4champ

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  6. christenm

christenm Member

Ok, I'm gonna work on making my own card later since I found a template. However I'm a bit nervous about taking off the front part in case I break it. Can you tell me or give me a link to a safe way to do it? Thanks for putting up with my n00by questions

7. ssj4champ

ssj4champ Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007