1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 fan is dead - Alternate fan power points?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JVegas, Jun 23, 2003.

1. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

New version 7.

Fan is dead. Put the power and the ground to where a Magic's is. It powered but is grounding the system out.

Seems the Fan's points or fuse to the fan is dead.

Where to hook this fan up to funtion?

Anyone?
    Thanks!

2. andyrt

andyrt Member

This is bad -- but a customer of mine purchase a USB FAN which installs in the USB ports up front. They then clipped the wires from the usb fan and ran them all the way to the back of the system and into the regular system fan. So the system fan became powered by the USB port.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  3. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Where are the power and ground on a USB port? Any diagrams, I can probably just wire to that connection.

4. andyrt

andyrt Member

Nah, I don't have any diagrams of the USB port, sorry. The USB fan actually has a usb connector on it.

5. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

:(

Ohh well time to hack apart the board. I should be able to find it easily enough.

6. andyrt

andyrt Member

Haha -- hey, Good luck. If you find anything, be sure to post it back on the board -- other people may be able to benefit from it :)

7. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Just got it!

Ok, I took the harness off from the board exposing the the power and ground for the fan. These are the two original points for the fan. The north point is the ground and the south, power.

I connected the grey wire (power) from the fan to a 5v point on the board, same as the magic 3.1 power point. Then I took the black wire (fan's ground) and connected that to the original ground on the fans harness.

It fired up and worked like a charm!

For the record you can not wire the ground directly to a ground point on the board, say the magics ground or it will short the system and/or the chip. This is the only way I found for it to work correctly.

If someone ever need pics or anything I will be happy to help out.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003